Is this tank ready to go??

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I asked about the fishless cycle in another thread but cannot find it now !

My tank set up is 15G, heated at about 81 degrees, filter, gravel, 2 ornaments and 3 live plants. I started cycling two weeks ago using fish food and added a shrimp half way through. Also, the gravel from LFS was a product which contained an instant cycle liquid in the gravel bag (sorry cannot remember the products name, but LFS said it would cycle a tank in a few days, I didn't believe them though and hence went fishless anyway!).

For the last 4 days water parameters have been (on API master test):

Ammonia 0.00 or 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.00ppm
Nitrate 80.00ppm

Does that mean the tank has now been cycled?

Thanks!

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for reply. I did a 30% water change yesterday - some people have advised doing it once nitrates appear, is that right??. Measurements today were
Ammonia - difficult to say whether it was 0.00 or 0.25ppm on API liquid chart
Nitrite 0.00ppm
Nitrate 40.00ppm

Shall I do another water change again soon to get the nitrates down a bit, then wait for a few days for ammonia to definitely come down to zero?

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
p.s. thanks also for the link, the one I was looking for was a specific question linked to ammonia though!

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again, I just did another water test and numbers were:

Ammonia 0.00 or 0.25ppm on API
nitrIte 0.00ppm
NitrAte 20.00ppm
p.H. 8.0 to 8.2

I also tested my tap water for ammonia and same result as the tank, 0.00 to 0.25 on API (I find it difficult to tell the difference between the two!). Is the tank ready for fish and anything I can do about ammonia in tap water??

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your tank is cycled then the beneficial bacteria will take care of the ammonia in your tap water. Can you get anyone else to judge the colour on the ammonia strip for you? If your nitrates are that high your tank should be cycled.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
good idea!

WOW! you are like me... It is sooooooo difficult to read those cards... nobody in my family can pick them apart...

your nearly there... hang in there...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom