Is This Tank Even Cycling?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by thewolfden, Apr 10, 2017.

1. t

thewolfden New Member Member

I am not sure what is going on with this tank. I have had it set up since October last year. There are three apple snails in the tank and no other fish. The snails have been in the tank since it first cycled about the middle of October. The tank had been cycled but then something happened and the cycle died. PH had tanked and ammonia spiked. I did a complete water change on the 27th of March. I changed out the rock and put down a thin layer of aragonite and top fin aquarium sand on top of it. The ammonia levels have been constantly at 1.0ppm. I have been doing daily water changes and dosing with both Prime and Stability. Today when I tested the water my readings were at PH = 8, Ammonia = 2.0, Nitrites = 1ppm, and Nitrates = 20ppm. I did a 50% water change and dosed it again with Prime and Stability. Is this tank starting to cycle again?
    IMG_9402.JPG IMG_9401.JPG

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Holy smokes those snails are HUGE!
    It looks like there is at least some bacteria activity as you have nitrites and nitrates. You sound like you are doing everything right, are you dosing ammonia at all or is that all coming from the snails? How much are your daily water changes (%)?

Also, just a side note, I would move that heater down or top up your water, unless I am missing something it sure looks like it is not enough water to be submerged enough and they can crack.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

What is your tank size? Those are some lovely, healthy looking snails you have. :) Are these true apple snails or mystery snails? Both have a pretty big bioload though apple snails can grow to softball size and have a much larger bioload then mystery snails.

I would do another water change to get that ammonia and nitrites down, snails are especially sensitive to water quality. Also have you tested your water source (tap water)?

4. OP
    OP
    t

LOL not as huge as some of them get. Mine are probably only the size of a golf ball. No I am not dosing ammonia it is coming from the snails. I am doing 50% water changes daily. I can add more water to the tank but the snails like to lay there eggs on the glass so it is better to have the water lowered. I can lower the thermometer but have to be careful because there is a temp gage on top to keep it at the right temp.

The tank is a 10g. Thanks they are mystery snails. I did do a water change to drop the ammonia and nitrites. I have tested my tap water. and it comes to 7.4ph with everything else being zero. I know that the PH being 8.0 in the tank is because of the Aragonite sand in the tank.

5. clk89

I was suggesting you do yet another water change until ammonia and nitrites is down to zero. I'm not usually too bothered with PH, unless it's 6.0 or below. I have pretty high PH too. I love snails of all types myself, my favorite is currently a chestnut mystery snail who likes to crawl onto my hand during water changes.

6. OP
    OP
    t

Ah got it. I will go ahead and do another water change on it then I just tested it and ammonia was down to .50, nitrites .25 and Nitrates at 5.0. Should I dose it with prime after I do the change or just leave it be?

7. clk89

I dose prime after every water change. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice