Is This Tank Doing Good So Far?

Dano83
I helped my dad set up his tank 4 days ago and took some gravel from my tank that's been up for 4 months and added it to his new tank. The tests readings as lastnight are....

ph- 7.5
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10

Is the tank going good so far? I'll be going back to his house today and will be doing another test that's why i'm asking before I go.

sirdarksol
It looks like it's cycled. What has he been using to add ammonia to the tank? The reason I ask is that 4 days seems like a really short time for the gravel method to cycle the tank.

Narcicius
wow that was fast 4 days. If all you did was add some gravel then the cycle may not have started yet, because the ammonia needs to rise to feed the bacteria in the tank. So you're doing the right thing with the gravel but wait for foggyness in the water after an ammonia spike.

Dano83
It looks like it's cycled. What has he been using to add ammonia to the tank? The reason I ask is that 4 days seems like a really short time for the gravel method to cycle the tank.

He's been adding fish food in the tank 2 times a day.

sirdarksol
I would wait out at least another week (keep feeding the tank) to see if the ammonia or nitrogen spikes. It's possible that it's cycled. It sure looks like it's cycled.
However, I've never heard of a tank cycling that quickly without either used filter media or BioSpira

lilsoccakid
I wouldnt be too suprised that its cycled. I cyced a 55 gal that quick with my sand from the 20 in 3 days. wait 2 more days to make sure u stay at 0 ammonia and nitrite. good luck and enjoy

Dano83
Fishless Cycling 29 Gal Tropical Tank?

I went to his house yesterday and did the test and here's the new readings...

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25
Nitrate: .10
Nitrite: .25

sirdarksol
That seals it, it's not cycled.
Still, it will probably go quickly now that the ammonia is rising.
I'm guessing the nitrates originally came from the gravel.

Narcicius
I didn't think it was cycled, good thing you waited before adding fish or you might be out a few bucks (and lives) right now.

lilsoccakid
good call sirdarksol, my bad

sirdarksol
Meh. I could have been wrong. Really, all we're ever doing is making educated guesses that, at times, are little better than flipping coins or rolling dice.
I was right this time. You might be right the next three times.

Narcicius
Hope it cycles well, you could get biospira to speed it up to about a week I'm told. Than you could go ahead and add some fish to start enjoying your fish.

Dano83
I did another test this morning and the readings are....

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0.25

I hope i'm not messing up his tank any?? lol

Narcicius
That might not be so good.

AggieYen
That's about right - your nitrates are rising and your nitrites will fall too. Keep going till your ammonia and nitrites fall to zero and you'll be good to go.

Do a good vac before you add any fish though

Narcicius
yeah pesky anaerobic bubbles(I think they're called that) can create deadly toxins that can kill your fishm or just contain pockets of ammonia and nitrites.

Dano83
well here's a rundown of the test i've down....

Tank Was Setup: February 1, 2008

Test: #1 Date: February 3, 2008
Amonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM

Test: #2 Date: February 4, 2008
Amonia: 0.25 PPM
Nitrite: 0.25 PPM

Test: #3 Date: February 5, 2008
Amonia: 0.50 PPM

Test: #4 Date: February 6, 2008

Test: #5 Date: February 7, 2008

Test: #6 Date: February 8, 2008
Amonia: 0 PPM

we can't find any pure ammonia so we've been using flake food and we still haven't gotten an ammonia or nitrite spike. We feed the tank twice a day with flake food and the heater is set to 80-82 degrees. Are we doing things right? Sorry if i'm asking to many questions but this is the first fishless cycle we've done.

Narcicius
Sounds like your doing it perfectly, just keep it up and you'll get some ammonia readings in a few days.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aqua_man
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views