Is this tank cycled?

kdwyer

i have been letting my 20 gallon tank sit for 3.5 days so far. can i get my fish today?

StarGirl

Did you just fill it 3 days ago?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

If you want to do a fish-in cycle you can. That involves lots of water changes. What kind of fish are you planning on?

Upvote 0

kdwyer

If you want to do a fish-in cycle you can. That involves lots of water changes. What kind of fish are you planning on?
probably some angelfish and a pleco

Upvote 0

e_watson09

A 20g tank is really too small for angels or plecos. Make sure you look up how to do a fishless cycle with your tank. Honestly learning this and doing this up front will make the hobby way easier and more enjoyable!

Upvote 0

AquaCaitlin

As others have said it will be best to research the nitrogen cycle and look into doing a fishless cycle.

You will also have to change what you’re planning to stock with as an angel and a pleco cannot fit in a 20gal.

If you would like we can throw up some better stocking options

Upvote 0

StarGirl

A lot of fish stores are notorious for telling people to let it sit for a few days and cycle. This is not what the nitrogen cycle is. It takes a month sometimes longer to cycle depending if you do fish in or fishless.

Upvote 0

kdwyer

As others have said it will be best to research the nitrogen cycle and look into doing a fishless cycle.

You will also have to change what you’re planning to stock with as an angel and a pleco cannot fit in a 20gal.

If you would like we can throw up some better stocking options
yes that would be great!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Is your tank a 20h or 20L? That make a big difference.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I really would look up the nitrogen cycle first and see what it involves. You will have a while to see what fish you want.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Get some platys and if you do you can get them today as platys can ajust

Upvote 0

AquaCaitlin

For alternative stocking:

Active fish:
You could get a school of tetras (like neons or maybe embers)
You could maybe get some guppies or endlers, although if you get both genders they will breed.

Centerpiece fish:
A trio of honey gourami would look really nice.
Maybe some rams? I haven’t had them before though.

Bottom dwellers:
Maybe some Corydoras
Khuli loaches could be another option

These are just a few suggestions

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Being new to the hobby I would stay away from Rams for now. Tetras, guppies and Platys are good ideas. Dwarf cories too.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

Is your tank 24" wide or 30" wide? There is a 6" difference in length between a long and tall. This will have somewhat of an impact on the fish you can have.

Upvote 0

kdwyer

hi i’m cycling my 20 gallon fish tank. i tested my waters today and the readings were 7.6 ph, 0 nitrite, 0.25-0.50 ammonia and 0 nitrate. can i add fish now?

Upvote 0

Fisheye

Not until you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 20 or under nitrate. I know waiting is hard but everyone will tell you that if you do this right, you'll avoid a lot of trouble down the road. What has been your method to cycle?

Do you have plants in your tank? Post a pic of your setup if you would.

What number and species of livestock will you be adding once it's cycled?

Upvote 0

kdwyer

Not until you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 20 or under nitrate. I know waiting is hard but everyone will tell you that if you do this right, you'll avoid a lot of trouble down the road. What has been your method to cycle?

Do you have plants in your tank? Post a pic of your setup if you would.

What number and species of livestock will you be adding once it's cycled?
i have no plants and i want to add a school or 2

Upvote 0

Fisheye

Numbers and species. Bioload will have an impact on a new cycle. What size is your tank? What filter are you running?

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

Not cycled. I agree with fisheye

if there's ammonia and/or 0 nitrates, that's a good sign that it isn't cycled yet. Has it had a nitrite spike yet?

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

Probably not. It may be cycled because the ammonia test is that false .25, but normally in a cycled tank you'll have 0 ammonia and nitrites, and a number of nitrates(0 nitrates is possible though). If it is a fish in cycle, I would add fish more slowly. If its a fishless cycle, I would make sure the tank processes 2 ish ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Can you send a picture of readings?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
86 ssinit