Is this tank Betta safe? Question

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have recently been planting a 7Gallon tank that I was going to use as an extra guppy fry tank. I had the tank and thought I should do something with it so made a PVC pipe tunnel and planted it.

GetAttachment (79).jpg

Then my other half, Tom, who has never been interested in our fish said that he would like to buy a red 'Percy' (our Betta) to live in there. I thought "yes, a 7Gallon, why not?" and we have been browsing the internet to find the perfect fish... Then I remembered it has a sand substrate and it is not recommended for Betta tanks. I have found numerous sites that recommend it but, I am unsure of the risk. I really want him to get into fish keeping a little. At the very least I want him to spend 2 minutes a week looking at a tank.

Is it really unsafe for a Betta? I really want to get him a fish he'll appreciate and he's started involving himself in my research. Should I go back to my original plan?x

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have seen the sticky warning about sand and I believe it is the same person mentioned in the thread you mentioned, so that's one person who has had problems... but I can't find anywhere else it says not to.

I have another tank I could put him in if it becomes a problem. I think I'm going to try it out and see how he acts and how I feel when he's in there. Thanks for your help.x

4. PedroThePie Member Member

I hate 4 betta tanks, and all of them have sand. I like it better than rocks and gravel cause those can snag bettas fins, but thats pretty rare

5. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

you could always cap it if worried or plant a carpeting plant? I think the sorry is the bettas will eat the sand is what I read somewhere. But I too have heard of people having no problems. Could just depend on the betta

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have planted carpeting plants but it's low light so I don't think they'll carpet themselves, I may just plant the entire carpet in hopes it will put off any sifting anyway. I haven't heard of more than one case where it has been an issue.

Thank you all for your help. I'm pretty sure he'll get his Betta after all :) He's after one just like your avatar Angelbear.x

7. FiscCyning Member Member

I have several bettas in sanded tanks and it's never been a problem. I especially like it for halfmoons because fine grain sand is smooth for their trailing fins.

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Do not worry about the sand. I wish that sticky wasn't there. I was on this site at the time that thread was opened and it was based entirely on one members experiences. Was a very reputable and active member at the time, that is how I imagine it got "sticky" status. But I have never heard of any other case of any problem with sand, on any site or betta club anywhere. Just this one persons believe that sand was the cause of their bettas death, and I'm not so certain how they could be certain of that diagnosis anyway.

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thank you. That is kind of what I needed. It's also what I thought. It came down to one person on this forum, all the other websites I have found recommend it.

I don't doubt this person thinks the sand caused their Bettas death and I appreciate them warning others if that's the case but it doesn't seem to be that one case. As far as I can see it, many people keep Bettas on sand with no problems. I might have the next Betta that decides it's a great snack.. But that's highly unlikely!

I have made up my mind. I will be getting a new Betta :D