Is this Swordtail a girl or a boy

Lululime

I think the fish is pregnant, my boyfriend thinks it’s a boy. Is this fish a girl or a boy?

qldmick

guess is a girl

qldmick

wait I'm not sure...

SM1199

If this fish was not of a thread fin strain, I would say it's male, given the extended analfin. However, knowing that this strain produces long trailing fins, even on the analfin, it looks like a female. I see a gravid spot.

Lululime

SM1199 said:
If this fish was not of a thread fin strain, I would say it's male, given the extended analfin. However, knowing that this strain produces long trailing fins, even on the analfin, it looks like a female. I see a gravid spot.
Thank you! I think so too. I am not an expert, but she does have that triangle looking fin, not like her boyfriend, who is lacking that triangle looking fin. Hope I am making sense, here is a pic of the boy.

qldmick

yep that second one looks more like a male.

SM1199

Yes, you are completely right. The comparison photo makes it even more clear. Good eye!

emeraldking

Well, the red wagtail (black fins) is a female lyretail sword and the the other red lyretail is a male. No doubts!
Female lyretail swordtails do have an elongated analfin as well but it's not transformed into a gonopodium. This male however does have an analfin that has clearly transrformed into a gonopodium.

Lululime

Yes, she s a lady and a mommy now thank you everyone. Here Is a pic of her babies I saved this morning , it was a pleasant surprise

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom