Is this Swordtail a girl or a boy

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If this fish was not of a thread fin strain, I would say it's male, given the extended analfin. However, knowing that this strain produces long trailing fins, even on the analfin, it looks like a female. I see a gravid spot.

OP
Lululime

Lululime

Reaction score
SM1199 said:
If this fish was not of a thread fin strain, I would say it's male, given the extended analfin. However, knowing that this strain produces long trailing fins, even on the analfin, it looks like a female. I see a gravid spot.
Thank you! I think so too. I am not an expert, but she does have that triangle looking fin, not like her boyfriend, who is lacking that triangle looking fin. Hope I am making sense, here is a pic of the boy.

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, you are completely right. The comparison photo makes it even more clear. Good eye!

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, the red wagtail (black fins) is a female lyretail sword and the the other red lyretail is a male. No doubts!
Female lyretail swordtails do have an elongated analfin as well but it's not transformed into a gonopodium. This male however does have an analfin that has clearly transrformed into a gonopodium.

New Threads