Is This Swim Bladder Disease Worthy Of Isolation?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by chloep123, May 28, 2019.

1. chloep123

chloep123Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted on here, so just a little update.
    I recently decided to start a sority tank in my ~12 gallon aquarium. I had a filter from another tank that was already cycled, chucked half a bottle of TSS in to be on the safe side, then tested the water (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20, temp 27⁰C/82⁰F) I imported 6 female bettas from Thailand, which arrived in ludicrously small bags with even smaller water levels, but slowly acclimatised them and introduced them to the tank. As expected there was a little fighting at first but this calmed right down to the odd bit of chasing by day 5.
    Now down to the dilemma. When I first introduced the girls I noticed one was lying on her side at the top. I guessed it was something to do with her swim bladder and blamed the frequent temperature changes on the journey to me. She was the most picked on as she struggled to escape, and ripped her tail a little on a sharp piece of driftwood (which I have since sorted). A day or two later she seemed to improve a lot, swimming with ease etc. However, yesterday it looked to have worsened. I suspected I may have overfed them slightly, so shelled a couple of chopped up peas, which they all ate a few of. Today, I have noticed she keeps wedging herself under one particular piece of driftwood.
    My thoughts are that this could either be due to the swim bladder or the fact that she is trying to hide from her tankmates. Either way, is it worth separating her at all? Either in a net or my quarantine tank?

It's worth mentioning that the tank is heavily planted, has 6 small pieces of well boiled driftwood, and none of the other bettas have any issues.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

probably best to QT, swim bladder and being bullied, is a lot of stress.

3. OP
    OP
    chloep123

chloep123Valued MemberMember

So after I found her only moving from floating in the corner to eat, I decided to isolate and use some swim bladder medication in a small isolation tank. She looks like she is really struggling and I might set up a permanent separate tank for her. Anyway, just thought I should update!