Is This Suitable To Divide A Betta Tank?

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Since my "baby girl" is actually a boy, I want to put him in with my other "baby girl"/boy so I can have my quarantine tank back. I work in a place that deals in fountains, so it occurred to me to use some stiff, low-density filter media (link to product below - it's the grey one.) I'm thinking the pros are zero visibility between sections, another surface for beneficial bacteria, and easy customization. Can you think of any cons, other than the aesthetic one of seeing an inch thick black wall when viewing from the front?
https://www.thepondguy.com/product/matala-filter-media-pads?p=CSE&CAWELAID=730009880000006451&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELmmNoyHE3ZkGZnMNGrMotsSphwemNJQEkCSzQbVOf1kYlcdGTOkMjBoCQwQQAvD_BwE

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since my "baby girl" is actually a boy, I want to put him in with my other "baby girl"/boy so I can have my quarantine tank back. I work in a place that deals in fountains, so it occurred to me to use some stiff, low-density filter media (link to product below - it's the grey one.) I'm thinking the pros are zero visibility between sections, another surface for beneficial bacteria, and easy customization. Can you think of any cons, other than the aesthetic one of seeing an inch thick black wall when viewing from the front?
https://www.thepondguy.com/product/matala-filter-media-pads?p=CSE&CAWELAID=730009880000006451&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELmmNoyHE3ZkGZnMNGrMotsSphwemNJQEkCSzQbVOf1kYlcdGTOkMjBoCQwQQAvD_BwE
The only con would be that you would be drastically reducing water exchange and movement between the two divided halves of the tank if you only have one filter intake and outflow. You could remedy that by putting a sponge filter or HOB on each side.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No sure where you live, but the plastic craft mesh (typically used with yarn) can be easily turned into a divider and would allow for good water flow between the halves.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you could figure put how to pump the water from one side to the other you could use the foam divider like a matten filter.

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update: My experiment was a near disaster! I decided to fashion a matten filter of sorts by cutting a pocket for the bubbler. All well and good... About an hour into shared tank introduction, I discovered my adolescent boy had forced himself between the media and the glass; I guess he's quite the aggessor... Anyway, after freeing him as gently as I could, it was apparent he'd scraped off a significant amount of scales from his side facing the media, ripped his fins to shreds, and possibly damaged an eye as well. To be honest, I was distraught, as I'd nursed this baby from mistreated, near-death, barely bug-eyed fry stage, to his glorious self; I was sure he'd die. Ffwd 1.5 weeks: This boy is a real fighter (my avatar is him, pre-accident.) His fins are a little ragged still, but he's otherwise healed! I hadn't yet named him, but since he's recovered from certain death twice, I christened the little stinker Lazarus. My Q tank is now his, which means I have to set up another tank. *Sigh* I'm so glad my fiance is okay with my fish obsession... Lesson learned.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom