Is this stocking ok? 55 Gallon Tank

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Current Stocking: Post #10.

Thanks ahead for all advice!

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

I think that would make you fully stocked! That being said.... mixing swords and platys can have interbreeding issues possibly.
    Also are you prepared for possible baby survivings. Also platy and swords should be 1m to 2 or 3 females.
    I would pick either platys or swords. Then up to a better ratio of what you do keep. Also I would up the pandas to 8. Then up both groups of tetra's by 2 or 3. This is actually a difficult one to figure but there's a start.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Bioload is easily mitigated with filtration, so that should never really be a concern. If you want a high bioload tank, then you have to have big filtration. There's no way around that.

Neons - I would keep at least 12 in a 55. They really benefit from being in a larger school.
    corys - At least 8. Again, they are schooling fish and benefit from larger numbers.
    Glowlights - same as the others.
    Clown plecos - fine
    Rainbows - more, like the others
    Livebearers - pick one. 3 species is too many IMO.
    Danios - more

Normally I would say 6 groups of schooling fish is too many, but these are all small fish. That would be a relatively low bioload tank.

4. cameronpalte Member Member

I upgraded the list on the top based on your advice. Do you have any more recommendations. Thanks for tips.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. If it looks like the filter is not working, than I can add another filter to help.

Upgrading, thanks for the advice.

Previous poster suggested this, so I already upgraded. Thanks for the advice.

So, I will upgrade it to 12, is that ok?

Great:)... is it possible to add another one, or is this top.

Upgraded to 8, do you recommend any more.

I have never heard this before, could you please elaborate more?

Upgrading to 8.

[/QUOTE]
    Normally I would say 6 groups of schooling fish is too many, but these are all small fish. That would be a relatively low bioload tank.[/QUOTE]
    Ok, than tanks.

Thanks for your post and helping.

*Note. First post updated with new fish.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's not any rule or anything I am drawing from, it's just my own feelings about your tank and the fish you want to keep.

Just so you know, each time you edit your original post it makes everyone who previously posted look like they don't know what is going on or that they can't read. It's best to just re-post the list so that there is a progression that can be followed.

For a good sized (and well filtered) tank like that stocked with small schooling fish, you could easily get away with 1 fish per gallon. More than that is pushing it though. And these numbers being thrown out there are FINAL NUMBERS. It really ought to take you close to a year to finish stocking the tank, in my opinion.

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, so this is the final stocking: edit: new stocking next post!
    12(Neon Tetra)
    4(Sunburst Wag Moon Platy)
    6(Fancy Guppy-Female)
    2(Fancy Guppy-Male)
    8(Panda Corydoras Catfish)
    12(Glowlight Tetra)
    2(Clown Plecostomus)
    8(Celebes Rainbow)
    8(Purple Passion Danio

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Livebearers would be your guppies and platies, for example. These fish are prolific spawners. By having multiple livebearing species, your tank will soon be overrun with fry. That's one one livebearing species was recommended.

May I suggest that you do some on-line research for each species in your list to learn about them? Keeping fish is about a lot more than just plopping them into a tank because they fit.

9. cameronpalte Member Member

What do you think of my new list? I plan on keeping the guppies, and I know they will spawn.

Ok.

10. cameronpalte Member Member

I came up with this stocking just now. What do you guys think about it? Please tell me any advice you have on this stocking!

12(Neon Tetra)
    6(Fancy Guppy-Female)
    2(Fancy Guppy-Male)
    8(Panda Corydoras Catfish)
    12(Glowlight Tetra)
    1(Clown Plecostomus)
    8(Celebes Rainbow)
    8(Purple Passion Danio)
    4(German Blue Ram)

*Food*
    What food would you recommend me feeding all of these fish. I am open to all suggestions. Just tell me a list of food you recommend for all these fish.

11. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I hate to be this blunt...... but..... do you actually read the posts that people make trying to help you? Instead of addressing the livebearer issue, you're adding more fish..... I don't get it. Help me understand.

12. cameronpalte Member Member

I addressed the livebearrer issue, you said the platties and guppies were my live bearers so I removed the platties, and added 4(german blue rams) to replace, plus I removed one clown plecostomus.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

For food, NLS thera A. It's a short list:)

14. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks. I'll look for a more detailed answer in the fish food area. What do you think of the number of fish I'm planning on putting in my tank. Thanks ahead. (current fish count in post 10.).

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That is a detailed answer - I specified the thera A formula ;)

As I said, I wouldn't do more than 1 fish per gallon. Again, these are final numbers, which it should take you a while to attain. Often, as the tank fills up people change their mind about what fish they want and how many. You may decide you don't need that last school of fish...

16. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah, as I fill it up, if I don't like something I won't improve it... thanks for the advice. I will look into the products you recommended.

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Another thing to consider is the size of the fish. Many fish are sold small, and so while the tank may seem empty, the fish will grow and it will fill out in time - another reason why it should take a while to stock a tank.

18. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Cameron,
    There's no need to edit your first post as things change. All it does is confuse other members by making the conversation incomprehensible. Any additional information/changes to your plans can come in further posts.

As far as stocking goes:
    The celebes rainbows may not do well in your tank. What little info I've found on them suggests that they typically live in estuaries, which means brackish water. They may also need a higher oxygen content than most fish.
    http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2009/02/successfully_keeping_celebes_r.php
    badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile48.html

In my opinion, that tank would be over-stocked. Add to that the fact that, if any fry survive, you're going to keep getting more livebearers. Leave out the guppies and the rainbows, and you'll have a pretty decent stock. I'd consider it heavy, still, but I have a school of twelve tetras, a handful of otos, and a handful of kuhli loaches in a 90g tank, and I love it. ;D

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Overstocking falls into two categories. The first is a lack of swim space and as I always say, filtration cannot make up for a lack if swim space. However, that is not what we are talking about.

The second is too high of a bioload. If the bioload is too high for the filtration, then that means that the bacteria colony cannot process all of the ammonia in one pass, leaving a concentration in the water being returned to the tank. The solution to this problem is increasing the filtration system's capacity to house beneficial bacteria. Bioload has little to do with the size of the tank - it's primarily a function of filtration. By increasing the volume of media, you increase the maximum size of the bacteria colony which allows for a higher concentration of ammonia to be processed in one pass through the filter - higher bioload.

Increasing the filtration system's capacity to hold beneficial bacteria IS how you handle bioload. Of course I'm sure people can come up with ridiculous scenarios, but within the realm of normalcy, bioload just shouldn't be an issue. If you want a high bioload tank, you have to have a big filtration system. It's a pretty basic principle expressed here and everywhere else.

20. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Increasing filtration certainly increases the system's capacity to turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates, but it doesn't remove nitrogen from the water column. In other words, it only deals with part of the bioload. These things can be dealt with by bigger water changes, but the spikes in the nitrate levels still aren't good for the fish.
    Most aquarists I've talked to, including the professionals who speak at the MN Aquarium Society, agree that filtration only deals with part of the bioload problem of an overstocked tank. I think every single speaker has commented on the importance of not trying to cram too many fish in a tank, because the nitrates are hard on the fish.