Is this stocking feasible, or fantasy?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all!

Seeing everyone's beautiful tank has rekindled my desire to have one of my own someday, despite the difficulty, expense, time required... (If I'm not careful, I'm going to convince myself otherwise again! )

My boyfriend and I were having fun looking at fish the other day. These are a few we both liked. Could we ever have all these together, and if so, what size tank would it require? We don't plan on getting a tank until we move to a bigger place, and we would want to go all out (IE probably at least 55 gallons).

--Blue tang
--Wrasses (does the variety matter? I really like the six line ones...also, how do you pronounce "wrasse" anyway? "Rass?" "Rass-ey?" )
--Ocellaris clown
--Goby/blenny (I've seen one at a store, not sure which it was, they both look pretty similar to me The fish we saw camouflaged really well and moved jerkily/erratically)
--Snowflake eel (I think these might be more aggressive...we had one in a tank at the animal hospital I worked at, and he on more than one occasion ate half a fish... )
--Green/red mandarin
--Banded coral shrimp
--Anemones
--Polyps

I think that's most of them Just curious and trying to learn more about SW tanks Thanks for your info!

Last edited:

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll share my limited knowledge with you kinezumi

Blue Tang- One per tank until you get one large enough to lesson the aggression.
Wrasses- From what I understand many are not reef safe, and therefore you could not keep soft corals. A type would need to be specified.
Ocellaris clown- Can be kept in pairs or alone. Keep in mind that the largest clown will become female.
Goby/Blenny- Again, we would need to know the species. There are many varieties.
Snowflake Eel & Mandarin- No idea
Banded Coral Shrimp- Could be eaten by your eel.
Anemones- Require special lighting conditions and foods. Will eat sick/dead stock. May wander around until it finds a good place to settle.

Excluding the eel and wrasse for now, I believe the stock listed could be kept in a 55

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the largest clown will become female does that mean it has to grow in to being a female if so that is WEIRD .

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OTF, that's true There are a lot of examples of organisms changing gender; some fish change as part of their life cycle, others become male if the dominant male (in a harem) dies, etc. Nature's pretty neat

Thanks Tigress, good to know The eel is probably at the bottom of the list, and my boyfriend and I LOVE saltwater shrimp, so looks like he might be going

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the largest clown will become female does that mean it has to grow in to being a female if so that is WEIRD .
All clowns are born male, and in a group the largest will be female. When she passes, the second largest will change gender.

You're welcome Squirrel Girl

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know little to nothing about salt water but a 55 seems reasonable just keep in mind in the future you will want to add new fish and you need more space for those , instead of later buying a whole new 100 gallon tank you should consider maybe a 75-100 gallon now, this is just personal expieriances as for saltwater is very neat and almost addict ing

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha by "now" you mean in like five years This is VERY preliminary planning, it wouldn't be until we move to a bigger place and have fancy jobs

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha by "now" you mean in like five years This is VERY preliminary planning, it wouldn't be until we move to a bigger place and have fancy jobs
Aha didn't realize u were planning so far ahead. Who knows by then you might want a 9000 gallon with sharks

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, here's how I see it, let's assume this 'mythical tank' is a 55G

--blue tang - sorry, not in a 55G, maybe a 75, preferably 90+. For a 55, maybe the yellow tang, but they prefer larger.
--Wrasses - Pronounced Rass. Variety (species) matters greatly.
--Ocellaris clown - yep no problem there.
--Goby/blenny - the one you saw sounds like a lawnmower, feeds exclusively on algae. Great little fish!
--Snowflake eel - Absolutely not in a community tank of smaller fish, it will have them for breakfast, along with any inverts you stock. Needs 75+ or more.
--Green/red mandarin - Tank raised is the better choice, but be prepared for the diet. They have a specific diet, and many reefers struggle to keep them alive
--Banded coral shrimp - should be ok
--Anemones - as long as you keep stable parameters, an established setup (6mths or more) and have adequate lighting.
--Polyps - yep, shouldn't be a problem.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Ryan No eel then. How about a six line wrasse? My LFS frequently has them and they're so colorful.

Kinda sad about the blue tang though, that's one that I picked If I had a large enough tank, would one be compatible with other fish I mentioned?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you got a 75G, and it was a long tank, you could get the Pacific Blue Tang. With Tangs, it's so much the volume of water, but the swim space they require. They rarely stop moving.

Six line wrasse is a great little fish. I have one. They can be a bit aggressive with other wrasses, and fish that look like a wrasse. Introduced last, they generally make good citizens.

Tangs are reasonably well behaved with other fish, but not conspecifics or other tangs, so yes, it should be ok with the others you've picked out. You could also consider the Tomini Tang (https://www.fishlore.com/profile-tominitang.htm), it's a little smaller, you could get away with one in a 55. Just don't tell the Tang police

You'll generally find most people will recommend at least a 5' tank for Tangs.

Here's what I keep in 66G (which is essentially a 50 (3'), but a lot taller)
- Pair of Percula Clowns
- Lawnmower Goby
- Flamehawk
- Pyjama Cardinal
- Six Line Wrasse
- Coral Beauty
- 3 x Striped Yellow Cardinal
- 8 x Peppermint Shrimp
- lots of snails (nassa, cerith)
- Turbo snail
- 2 x Astrea snail
- 1 x BTA

Plus lots of different corals; Blasto, Elegance, Zoanthids, Green Star Polyps, Button Polyps, Duncan (NPS), Pulsing Xenia (grows like a weed), plate coral, cup coral

I think that's it

Last edited:

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, that tomini tang is neat! Hmm, maybe we'll stay away from the bigger fish...I didn't know blue tangs needed such big tanks! Also apparently LiveAquaria used to have tank-raised mandarins but not all the time. We definitely wouldn't want wild-caught, so may have to put that plan on hold...too bad, my boyfriend really likes those

Looks like I have more research to do! I'll come back with more questions as they arise Thanks for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom