Is this still S. Repens?

cpuphantom

Hey all.

I bought stems of Staurogyne Repens online a few weeks ago, and it arrive and I popped it in my new tank.

Though, now that it's been in there for a couple weeks 6 of the stems don't look like the others. They are much taller, leggier, and with much narrower leaves at the tops than the rest of my S Repens. Two of the stems are in the picture below in the foreground. Those two stand at 4 inches tall, compared to the surrounding s. Repends that is maybe an inch tall.

And the leaf shapes are the weirdest. All of my other S. Repens have every elliptical shaped leaves, pointed on both ends but equally. But these stems have two kinds of leaves... at the top of the plan the leaves are very narrow, needle-like. And the leaves on the bottom half almost appear to be more acute near the base of the leaf.

I had thought that maybe these were grown immersed - and the tops were due to being out of the water. But even after 2 weeks, there's been no melt back. I swear they are getting taller and the bottoms still have slightly different leaves.

The last reason I thought these may be different than S. Repens is because the seller has a reputation for including free "extras" in orders, and I did receive more stems than I ordered - 6 more in fact...

Thanks for your help! If it is a different species, I'd love to learn more about it. I'll move them in the tank to a better location than the foreground so I'm not trimming them as often.

Mouska

It looks like pearlweed.

cpuphantom

I wrote to the seller. She confirmed it was Ludwigia Needle Leaf. Which grows to be about 20" tall... oops. I'll be moving that shortly.

cpuphantom

So now that I've researched Ludwigia Needle Leaf, I think I understand more how I did this. lol. Right now these 6 stems look drastically different than the surrounding S. Repens and I couldn't figure out how I could have ever mistaken it as the same plant.

But after researching it, I realize the thicker rounder leaves grow immersed... and the thin need leaves grow emerged. And the thin leaves don't start until an inch above the S Repens.... so I remember it being a little taller, but not 3 inches taller! So I think the new thin leaves have grown in in the past 2 weeks and why it noticed this plant as definitely not s repens. hah. Sorry... I'm enjoying my planted adventure... just sharing my findings.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom