Is this some kind of fin rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by el337, Jul 30, 2015.

1. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I was just looking at all my fish tonight and noticed one neon's fins on the right side looked a little weird. When I examined it closely, it appears as if they are stuck together. It is unable to use it at all so he's swimming with just the left side of his fins. What is this? All the other fish including the other 5 neons are fine.

Uploaded the pics but the quality sucks and it's the best pics I can get with my phone. Sorry. If this is fin rot, do I need to QT him? Is it contagious?

Attached Files:

2. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Hmm not sure but I would recommend removing the tetra in case it's contagious. I don't know much about neons but I do know they are susceptible to neon tetra disease. You might want to look up the symptoms.

Best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    el337

I can set up a hospital in a 10g but i'm wondering if I should quarantine just that 1 neon or all the neons??

4. OP
    OP
    el337

*Bump* for more help please. I need to run out to Petsmart anyway so if I need to medicate, I'd like to know what to pick up and if I should move the rest of the neons w/ it and not just that one.

5. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I wish I could tell better form the picture, but I'm not sure if that's fin rot exactly. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    el337

It looks as if the fins are stuck together. It's just white... and now I'm noticing on his left side that there looks to be a little gash running thru its body. So maybe an injury?

I think I'm just gonna move the neons out into a separate tank in case it's something going on with them. I don't want to infect the other fish in the main tank.

7. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

If there's a gash then it does sound like an injury and should affect the other fish or neons, but I'm not 100% on if it is or not.

8. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Just the one if it's the only one looking like that but I would put the tank up next to the others so it can see them sorry I'm not sure :/

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I'd say it's fungus. If finrot a big part of the fins already would be gone !

10. OP
    OP
    el337

How do I treat it? For now I have isolated him and the other neons in a 10g since I wasn't sure what it was.

11. DoubleDutch

i'd start with an antifungal med. Is Esha 2000 available overthere ????
    The fish doesn't look very sick !!! Another possible sign of fungus to me.

12. OP
    OP
    el337

Sold on Amazon but not available for free shipping. I'll check out the LFS. Is there another brand if I can't find this one?

I didn't want to risk any illness or whatever it was because I just got new corys in the main tank.

13. DoubleDutch

Not very familiar with your brands (I am Dutch and lots of German brands overhere). There must be other anti-fungal meds that will do.

14. OP
    OP
    el337

Thanks I'm looking into those. :)

15. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Good luck!

16. OP
    OP
    el337

Update:
    Now his fins on the left side are practically gone. I haven't medicated yet bc I'm not sure what medicine to get. Otherwise he looks ok.

Other neons are still ok too. Do I treat with medicine? If so, what brand? Do I still quarantine him and the other neons or is it ok for them to join the others in the main tank?

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Get some melafix and follow the instructions.

18. OP
    OP
    el337

Will it help him grow back his fins?

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea but like everything else in medicine, it'll take some time. I used Bettafix when my betta had fin rot a few weeks ago and they are starting to grow back.

20. OP
    OP
    el337

Thanks. Should I leave his fellow neons in with him or move the healthy ones back to the main tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice