Is this some kind of algae??

Ssnaaiil

What is the white fuzzy/hair like stuff on my java moss? Is it some sort of algae? If so what do I do?
424D6402-0B7C-4C0C-A1C4-065E650257D4.jpeg

MrBryan723

It looks like the very beginning stages of blackbeard algae to me. Also might be a hair algae. Either way, the treatments would be the same. The only chemical i would suggest in a shrimp tank would be H2O2 for algae. I don't know of any shrimp safe algaecides myself. The black out method might be an option too.

Ssnaaiil

MrBryan723 said:
It looks like the very beginning stages of blackbeard algae to me. Also might be a hair algae. Either way, the treatments would be the same. The only chemical i would suggest in a shrimp tank would be H2O2 for algae. I don't know of any shrimp safe algaecides myself. The black out method might be an option too.
how do I do the h2o2 method?

kallililly1973

Could even be the start of staghorn possibly. I would look at some YouTube videos using h2o2 or flourish excel . If it were me I would take tweezers and grab it and clip off the ends with scissors

Ssnaaiil

kallililly1973 said:
Could even be the start of staghorn possibly. I would look at some YouTube videos using h2o2 or flourish excel . If it were me I would take tweezers and grab it and clip off the ends with scissors
I probably will clip the parts off that have it on it tomorrow. I was just kinda curious what it is. It’s been there like that for at least a week or two and hasn’t spread anymore

kallililly1973

Ssnaaiil said:
I probably will clip the parts off that have it on it tomorrow. I was just kinda curious what it is. It’s been there like that for at least a week or two and hasn’t spread anymore
Jump the gun and get rid of it before it gets outta control by manual removal is usually the best way.

Ssnaaiil

kallililly1973 said:
Jump the gun and get rid of it before it gets outta control by manual removal is usually the best way.
I’m going to when I get up in the morning. I’ve just been so busy that I haven’t been able to do much with my tank in the last couple of weeks

kallililly1973

Ssnaaiil said:
I’m going to when I get up in the morning. I’ve just been so busy that I haven’t been able to do much with my tank in the last couple of weeks
That could also have something to do with it. If your not able to do weekly WC's then there is always a chance of different things showing up. Just my .02

Top Bottom