Is This Snail Larva ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patai3295

Reaction score
Snail larva?

I just started my 20g up about 2 weeks into cycle... i washed the gravel before entering to tank and used 16oz of my friends sump. Where could they have come from? I dont want to have 500 snails in a month

Wondering if I should restart? Sort of a noobie as you can tell

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never heard of “snail larva” but I do see poop and a pond/bladder snail.

I don’t bother removing snails. My fish eat them as they please and the snails keep the glass clean. I don’t mind them at all.

Patai3295

Reaction score
Never heard of “snail larva” but I do see poop and a pond/bladder snail.

I don’t bother removing snails. My fish eat them as they please and the snails keep the glass clean. I don’t mind them at all.
I understand i have seen fishtanks infested with snails before and its not to pretty.. just got worried cause i thought it was snail eggs or larva or however they make babies and i would end up with tons of snails soon

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ramshorn, pond, and bladder snails lay eggs in jelly blobs. Trumpet snails give live birth and apple/mystery snails lay clutches above the water line.

If you are worried about being overrun just remove the snails as you see them.

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I agree with @Demeter. It's all poop. If you don't want 'pest' snails just remove the eggs before they hatch. Your fish may even help with that .

gsong321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Snail larva?

I just started my 20g up about 2 weeks into cycle... i washed the gravel before entering to tank and used 16oz of my friends sump. Where could they have come from? I dont want to have 500 snails in a month

Wondering if I should restart? Sort of a noobie as you can tell
If you find a clutch of mystery snails eggs up at the top of your tank or even on the hood...you'll know right away what they are. It will be a 1/2"-3/4" inch cluster about 2-3 inches long.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails dont have larvae. They lay eggs and little snails hatch and crawl around.

Personally, if youre concerned with snails, Id burn the whole tank and start over. Once theyre in, its almost impossible to get them out. All those brown things look like turds, but Im almost certain I see a snail on the glass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom