Is this silicone safe for fish tank?

MrFishkeeper1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
15943472063587840227761022963666.jpg

I am going to be resiliconing a tank and I am wondering if this is safe for fish?

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here is what aquarium advisor says:
This all-purpose sealant from Dap is 100% silicone and used to both build and repair aquariums. Once applied, it takes 24 hours to cure completely. Then, it's non-toxic and safe for use in any aquarium, freshwater or saltwater. It's completely waterproof, stays flexible, and won't crack, peel, or shrink over time.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would be safe but I probably wouldn't use just regular silicone for resealing an aquarium. A member on here tried to reseal their aquarium with regular silicone and let it cure for 24 hours but it leaked.
I would just get some aquarium sealant.

AndrewP

Reaction score
I have used silicone from the dollar store to re seal a few aquariums with absolutely no issue. I would use it.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That will be ok for any small tank after days of drying. One day per millimetre . A 1/4 inch / 6 mm join needs a week to dry completely.

That silicon is not structural grade and is not suitable for 30 gallon tanks or bigger.

OP
MrFishkeeper1

MrFishkeeper1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Flyfisha said:
That will be ok for any small tank after days of drying. One day per millimetre . A 1/4 inch / 6 mm join needs a week to dry completely.

That silicon is not structural grade and is not suitable for 30 gallon tanks or bigger.
I am resealing a 75 gallon tank.... better get some silicone meant for aquariums. Thanks everyone!

OP
MrFishkeeper1

MrFishkeeper1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Here is what aquarium advisor says:
This all-purpose sealant from Dap is 100% silicone and used to both build and repair aquariums. Once applied, it takes 24 hours to cure completely. Then, it's non-toxic and safe for use in any aquarium, freshwater or saltwater. It's completely waterproof, stays flexible, and won't crack, peel, or shrink over time.
This isnt the all purpose one, just want to be safe.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In Australia we have cheap aquarium silicon sold at hardware stores and structural grade silicone.
75 gallon is going to need a good quality silicone

New Threads