Is this Silicone Okay??

1. jcmguy

jcmguy Valued Member Member

I am repairing a ten gallon tank with this. (have not done yet) Does not have fungicides and is 100% silicone.. but says not suitable for aquariums. Advice?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

What ever you do, do not use this Silicon Sealant, as it will leech poisons into the tank and kill your fish.
    Go to a LFS, and purchase the correct Sealant that is specially manufactured for use in fish tanks.

3. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

I would take the manufacturer at their word. Not suitable for aquariums means don't use it for aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

Agreed, do not use that. Spend the extra 2 dollars and get the correct silicone. They make aquarium silicone for a reason. Like Thai Aquarium Owner said it will leech bad stuff into the water and kill your fish.

5. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I know that you can use GE 1 silicone and I think it has a disclaimer on it. I have used it quite a bit with no bad results.

6. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

They don't print "do not use on aquariums" just for fun. I've repaired as well as constructed tanks... Get the real deal, it's worth a few bucks. Good luck with the repair.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

For a 10 gallon tank, I would play it safe and buy something that is made for aquariums. There are a few brands that people use who build/repair their own larger tanks and sumps that can be bought in a home improvement store. But in your case, I would buy it from a pet store. If you were to buy it from a home improvement store, you would not use the whole tube on a 10 gallon. So you really wouldn't be saving anything.

I agree with Jim. I've used GE 1 myself. There are a few others that are stronger too. But I don't think what you have shown is GE 1 unless they have changed the label.

8. d

dakota Valued Member Member

Over the years I have used GE Silicon#1. Long time ago I contacted GE and talked to one of there chemists and he said #1 has no additives at all. But it must be there #1 only.The silicone you but at the LFS regardless of brand is GE#1 usually. He said they sell to many rebranders so it has different names on the tube or box it comes in. I have used it to reseal tanks and secure airlines etc. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

9. f

fishguy1955 New Member Member

Consider also the cost and time of repair vs dismantling it for cover glass and getting a new tank. A repair is not 100% certain and a new 10 gallon at Wallymart is I believe $13.00

10. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Get something aquarium safe.
    1st of all it could leach chemicals.
    2nd the reason for it not being able to be used for aquariums could be that it can't hold the weight of all the water after a while. You don't want fish, water, & decorations all over the floor.
    3rd it outright says not for use with aquariums
    :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. tmills

tmills New Member Member

I have been using GE#1 for quite awhile on fw and sw with no adverse affects IMO but do what you feel safe with.

12. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

If it says not safe for aquariums then don't use it for aquariums.

Anyway though you don't necessarily have to go to the LFS to pick some up. Most hardware stores carry multiple brands of silicon and plenty are directly marked as being aquarium safe despite not being manufactured directly for that purpose. No need to pay the markup your going to see in pet stores for aquarium specific products.

A TON of the things people buy for their aquariums can be picked up for far less $ in this manner. Lights, tubing,substrate, silicon....these are all things that will cost significantly less somewhere like Home Depot than in a store like Petco and will deliver the same results.