Is This Set Up Good For Betta Fry?

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys, last night I was given some betta fry. I have a ten gallon with a 50 W heater and seeded sponge filter. Right now I have it filled up halfway and I have the heater going at 80-81 degrees. I had an air stone going but it was too strong and really loud so I decided to take it out. This morning I moved the sponge filter in because it's less strong and it'll help with the water parameters. I didn't count them but I'm guessing it's over twenty but no more then thirty/thirty five. I've seen one or two that died either from the ride back to my house (I tried to keep the container as still as possible) or the acclimation. I've got some floating riccia fluitans, subwassertang, java moss, and java fern that came with the fry. I also put two alder cones in there, but I don't have any indian almond leaves left. I've got some golden pearls (that's what I fed them with this morning) and I also have some Northfin fry food. I can make some BBS this week. I took about an hour last night acclimating them to the water (put a cup in every 5-10 minutes then carefully added that to the tank). I ordered a turkey baster online that should arrive soon so I could start water changes. I'll add some pics of the tank below. The water is a little foggy because of the water they were in in the first place. I don't know exactly how old they are, just that it's over a month. I should also mention that I'm returning the fry after the after they're a bit more grown up. They're still a bit tiny and it's hard to take pictures. Anyways, let me know if there's anything else I can do at the moment. I just want to know if I'm taking the right steps.
IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

Zniaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is a great start! I am loving how you kept the water level at half, that is very smart. Although I have never raised betta fry in particular, i've done a lot of other breeding and this is really good. Great job man!

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is a great start! I am loving how you kept the water level at half, that is very smart. Although I have never raised betta fry in particular, i've done a lot of other breeding and this is really good. Great job man!
Thank you! Doing my best! Breeding fish and shrimp has definitely been one of the highlights of this hobby for me so far

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I set up an infusiora culture last night that should be ready by Friday. I tried this once and I thought I was unsuccessful, but I realize now that I can check under a microscope to see if it worked. Tonight I'll set up a BBS hatchery so I can feed them BBS tomorrow night. Unfortunately I won't be able to give this to them everyday, but I'll do my best to keep up with it.
Is feeding them twice a day enough? I used the golden pearls because they seem to eat it easier. Most are still hiding (because there were a lot in the container but I only see a few swimming around). I can't tell if I'm over or under feeding.
From what I can tell, these fry are over a month old but are still the size of one week/two week fry. I can barely see the dorsal fin on some of them, but the rest are too small. I've only had three casualties so far (they were smaller than the rest, and maybe an hour of acclimation wasn't enough).

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMG_4922.JPG

BBS feeding tonight! I put in a fair amount but I still have a lot left, so I'll be feeding it to them tomorrow during both feedings. Most of the bigger fish are out and swimming, but the really small ones are hiding and I'm not sure if they can eat the BBS yet. I also can't see them unless I move the plants around so I can't tell how many there are. The water is still green from tannins and the water they came in.
@Guanchy @KOIiiii I noticed you guys had breeding threads and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice? I know these guys are pretty small for their age, so I'm trying to get them to a normal size.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems that you have been doing a good job! i like your set up a lot and thats how i have my fry tanks set up. i would recommend getting those live food going asap because even if they dont eat it right away you know they will get to it later on so you dont have to worry about having to feeding them every 2 hrs etc..

@Demeter also breeds bettas and can give you some advice!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they’ve made it this far then you’re on the right track. It’s getting them passed the first month that can be difficult because feeding can be hard unless you’ve got live cultures on hand when they are free swimming.

As for their growth, it can be a waiting game. Once you see dorsal and pelvic fins then they really start growing. Keeping food in them and doing frequent water changes will keep them growing.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It seems that you have been doing a good job! i like your set up a lot and thats how i have my fry tanks set up. i would recommend getting those live food going asap because even if they dont eat it right away you know they will get to it later on so you dont have to worry about having to feeding them every 2 hrs etc..

@Demeter also breeds bettas and can give you some advice!
If they’ve made it this far then you’re on the right track. It’s getting them passed the first month that can be difficult because feeding can be hard unless you’ve got live cultures on hand when they are free swimming.

As for their growth, it can be a waiting game. Once you see dorsal and pelvic fins then they really start growing. Keeping food in them and doing frequent water changes will keep them growing.
Thanks! Only three dead so far (at least the ones I've seen/taken out) I'll probably make BBS every three days or so because each last for about two days. The infusiora should be ready tomorrow or the day after so I should be set for a while. Is it normal for the small fry to be hiding (again, they look only a week old even though they're over a month old). i'm doing small water changes with the turkey baster multiple times a week.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feed them more brine shrimp (I definitely made too many so I'll use them over the next few days) and put in a good amount in an effort to get the smaller ones more food. The bigger ones have big bellies now. I'm thinking of not feeding them tonight so I don't overfeed them? I kept trying to take pics but they're too blurry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom