Is this set up enough to breed red cherry shrimp?

Naveen

Hi frends I'm new in keeping shrimp... So i choose a new tank specialy for rcs breeding... Today i set all the things anabius,foxtail java fern and moss... A big sponge filter and a ligh??? Bare tank.... Can anybody guide me ... If anything wrong??? I'm using RO water??
0D79AE99-B776-491D-BE7C-9F4C0CD635FE.jpeg

Fishstery

I dont really think RO water will matter for breeding neocardinas. Cardina shrimp like crystal reds are where RO water would come into play. However, it won't adversely affect the cherries breeding. You seem to have a good setup for them, they pretty much breed like rabbits under most conditions given there's no predatory fish around. I would toss in a few pieces of cholla wood though to give fry somewhere to hide in and also to graze on once it starts to break down and develop a biofilm. Some botanicals also work well too but IMO get messy once they degrade. Large clumps of Java moss also work well for this purpose.

Naveen

I dont really think RO water will matter for breeding neocardinas. Cardina shrimp like crystal reds are where RO water would come into play. However, it won't adversely affect the cherries breeding. You seem to have a good setup for them, they pretty much breed like rabbits under most conditions given there's no predatory fish around. I would toss in a few pieces of cholla wood though to give fry somewhere to hide in and also to graze on once it starts to break down and develop a biofilm. Some botanicals also work well too but IMO get messy once they degrade. Large clumps of Java moss also work well for this purpose.

U mean i can use ro water for rcs??

grac3

you can, but it's not necessary. your tank looks good, they should breed happily

altermac

Neocaridina davidii like Red Cherry shrimp need slightly harder water for breeding. I'm breeding on Tap-water, no RO. TDS above 300 ppm and PH up to 8.5 is fine.

RO and low TDS is needed for Caridina, like Taiwan bee.

Naveen

you can, but it's not necessary. your tank looks good, they should breed happily
Thank u

Yeoy

Do you have a heater? Depending on your climate and/or if you're able to maintain a stable room temperature 24/7 in your home, you might want to invest in at least a small heater. Otherwise it looks fine. The more plants/moss etc... the better. The more surfaces the better.

Eaton

Correct me if I’m wrong but it says you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle would that be a problem ?

Naveen

Do you have a heater? Depending on your climate and/or if you're able to maintain a stable room temperature 24/7 in your home, you might want to invest in at least a small heater. Otherwise it looks fine. The more plants/moss etc... the better. The more surfaces the better.
I have heater

Fishstery

Correct me if I’m wrong but it says you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle would that be a problem ?
Yes, OP is the tank cycled?

Cherryshrimp420

Do not use RO water, they need hard, slightly alkaline water

ProudPapa

Just to emphasize a couple of statements above, don't use RO water for shrimp unless you plan to re-mineralize it. They won't be able to properly grow shells, or molt when needed, in RO water.

Here's a few things I put together a while ago for someone just starting out with shrimp. It might help.

1627308779277.png

Naveen

Do not use RO water, they need hard, slightly alkaline water
How about mixing ro water with tap water??
Yesterday only i started new tank .... How long sud i wait to add shrimps??
Ya i know nitrogen cycle .... I'm waiting for cycle to complete... K tell me after cycling... I mean after 4 weeks.. is it safe to add shrimps...??? But i really don't know the parameters which is required for rcs to breed....cud u plz tell me all ratio of amonia nitrate nitrite gh and kh and pH...levels

Cherryshrimp420

How about mixing ro water with tap water??

Yesterday only i started new tank .... How long sud i wait to add shrimps??

Ya i know nitrogen cycle .... I'm waiting for cycle to complete... K tell me after cycling... I mean after 4 weeks.. is it safe to add shrimps...??? But i really don't know the parameters which is required for rcs to breed....cud u plz tell me all ratio of amonia nitrate nitrite gh and kh and pH...levels

What are the parameters of your tap water?

Naveen

I have buy master kit
[/QUOTEstill i have to buy master kit

Cherryshrimp420

I have buy master kit

The master test kit doesn't include tests for GH or KH unfortunately. Do you have local water reports? Do you know if the tap water is hard or soft?

Naveen

The master test kit doesn't include tests for GH or KH unfortunately. Do you have local water reports? Do you know if the tap water is hard or soft?
I will buy master kit and gh kh, tds meter and pH meter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JeremyW
Replies
Views
Beckjean
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
  • Question