Is This Riccia Fluitans?

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought some off ebay and left it floating. Underneath the surface it definitely looks like riccia, but there are a bunch of leaves (similar to but smaller than duckweed) with straight roots. I know that leaving riccia floating will make leaves but I was wondering if these leaves were actually part of the riccia? The leave spread very quickly. Sorry this is probably a stupid question, it’s just that I’ve looked online and found no clear answers as to if this is normal.
Image1564272461.877218.jpg
Image1564272483.364959.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Floating Riccia does not make leaves, it is always the same shape. The leaves are Duckweed, there are several types of various sizes. The Riccia obviously had a few leaves mixed in with it, but it doesn't take long for the Duckweed to take over and starve out the Riccia.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
Floating Riccia does not make leaves, it is always the same shape. The leaves are Duckweed, there are several types of various sizes. The Riccia obviously had a few leaves mixed in with it, but it doesn't take long for the Duckweed to take over and starve out the Riccia.
I knew something was off. The duckweed that I usually have is the size of the piece on the lower right size of the second pic. I'm starting to thin it out a little. Thanks for your help!

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
in the first pic you have loose-floating riccia fluitans. in the second pic I see a ton of common (lesser/minor) duckweed with a little bit of giant duckweed mixed in. the riccia is the thin blades, the leaves are duckweed. basically the seller had duckweed mixed in with the riccia and the duckweed has taken over your tank

..basically what chromedome said lol, i'm tired

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
midna said:
in the first pic you have loose-floating riccia fluitans. in the second pic I see a ton of common (lesser/minor) duckweed with a little bit of giant duckweed mixed in. the riccia is the thin blades, the leaves are duckweed. basically the seller had duckweed mixed in with the riccia and the duckweed has taken over your tank

..basically what chromedome said lol, i'm tired
Lol and I tried to be careful not spreading the duckweed to this tank! Oh well lol. At least I like the smaller duckweed better than the giant one.
jmaldo said:
Hmm.. Agree, Crazy Duckweed. Never seen Riccia floating but here is a pic of it attached to driftwood.

Riccia on Driftwood.jpg
That looks great! I think I'm going to keep it floating until I have a place to plant it down. But I have to get rid of most of this duckweed first haha

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Riccia is best used as a floating mat, many small fish will lay eggs in it and the fry grow up in it. I've raised Blue Eyes, Ricefish, and various Killifish this way. It really isn't made to be fastened down. It only attaches to the bottom in the wild when the water levels drop and it grows into the branches and wood. But it will always release plantlets to start a new growth at the surface, because it is a light loving plant.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
Riccia is best used as a floating mat, many small fish will lay eggs in it and the fry grow up in it. I've raised Blue Eyes, Ricefish, and various Killifish this way. It really isn't made to be fastened down. It only attaches to the bottom in the wild when the water levels drop and it grows into the branches and wood. But it will always release plantlets to start a new growth at the surface, because it is a light loving plant.
I think I'm going to put it in my fry tank (german blue ram fry) once it's ready.

I took out as much of the duckweed as I could. Some little pieces of the riccia were stuck to the duckweed, so I had to take that out too. I bent a couple of straws and kept the riccia floating in it so it all stays together. Some of it's white because it hasn't had enough light, but I think most of it will grow back. The light for the tank is on the timer so even though I'll be gone for five days next week it'll still be fine. From what I've read, it should grow moderately fast, and I think it should be fine by the time I need to move it to the fry tank.

New Threads