Is this possible. Lfs says yes.

1. b

bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I have a lfs that is owned and ran by the same old man. Has been for 25 years. Ive always gone to him. He just got this bright orange peacock cichlid in. It is AWESOME. He says even though its an african he thinks that if i get it that it will be fine in my tank. It is around 3-4 inches. I have my angel, chocolate, rainbow, blue acara, green severum and german ram. The gold gourami just got rehomed. Does anyone agree with this? If so please say so because the peacock is awesome looking. I have never heard of this being a good idea though.

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Peacock cichlids need slightly higher PH (over 7) that in theory should class with your angel I think.

3. OP
    OP
    b

My pH would be good then. Do you think the other cichlids would go after him? Ive always heard mixing african with south american cichlids is bad news.

4. W

I would keep an eye on him if you decide to get him.

African cichlids are typically more aggressive than most fish. Some species will easily decimate an entire tank if there are the wrong fish in there. Peacocks, from what I've heard tend to be pretty tolerate. I say TEND there are stories of them doing fine with other fish and others where they pick on everything and ruin the aquarium.

Africans are generally best kept with other Africans but there are some exceptions and the fish you have should be okay. I'd really keep an eye on him though.

5. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks for the input. I would really like to try it out and see what happens. I have also heard peacocks "tend" to be the less aggressive africans. But we all know how that goes.

6. W

Ultimately, it all depends on the fish. I imagine that there's a guppy out there so aggressive that he'll take on a shark and a red terror which wouldn't hurt fry. I'd give it a try, you never know until you've given it a shot.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

If it is one of the "dragonsblood" Peacocks, they are hybrids and are as aggressive as many Mbuna, that is, very aggressive. There are some fairly colorful pure species, but I don't know of any that are "bright orange". I would still be afraid that it would be too aggressive for several of the fish in your tank. I wouldn't do it.

8. OP
    OP
    b

I have thought about rehoming the angel, he is a grouch. Which would leave
    1 chocolate
    1 rainbow
    1 green severum
    1 german ram
    1 blue acara
    7 green aeneus corys
    1 bn pleco.