Is This Possible, Has Anyone Done This, And How? Question

1. S

Sebastianmm New Member Member

This might be excessive but I'm curious if anyone has done this and how this could be accomplished. I'm thinking of buying a water tank or something like it where I can store large amounts of water. In this tank how would I go about making the water in the tank 100% usable for water changes (ie. add a heater, attach a filter with established beneficial bacteria, add some gravel substrate to the bottom, etc.)? I'm not sure if I said what I'm trying to ask well enough but hopefully, someone might understand. Thanks :)

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

I haven't done that. Why do you want to store water ?:D
    It's best to use fresh water to refill the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    S

I travel quite a bit and I thought that having a system like this would make it easier for someone to do a water change if they could just simply take water from the tank and add it to the tank worry free. Also I think it'd be pretty cool.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

There would be no point. You dont cycle the water for your tank you cycle the filter. And you would also run the risk of something getting into the water.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The only benefit to this would be that anyone needing to do a water change for you wouldn’t need to use a water conditioner, or if you are collecting rain water for some reason. However if someone doesn’t have the ability to add dechlorinator, they probably shouldn’t be helping maintain your tank(s)...
    The system would need to be covered to prevent stuff getting in it. The filter would be needed to keep it from becoming stagnant, but isn’t going to “cycle” the water in any way. The heater is a good idea to have it at the desired temperature, though if you are keeping it outside in summer months, it may get too warm.
    Or you could add a light and use it to grow plants...

6. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

... Now I'm seeing an rain-barrel fish tank...and as I live in Seattle, I could actually do that >_>

I have an "experimental" aquarium where I try out the DIY stuff before I do it on one of the bigger ones. I also am using it to grow out plants and java moss, and was thinking about breeding amano shrimp in it as well (anything to fund the hobby). It then became an emergency quarantine tank when my betta rejected having tank-mates. It now has some 40 endler, 3 ghost shrimp, an ever increasing number of pond snails, and so many plants it's hard to see any of the inhabitants...as I am in the process of setting up a NEW large aquarium to move all of them to. I think the moral of the story (for me) is that if I have a "spare" aquarium around...it won't just have water in it for long >_>

7. qldmick

qldmick Valued Member Member

I use an a 1000L ibc to store water for water changes just fill it with tap water and leave it for a few days then its good to go.

8. MrT

MrT Valued Member Member

I know that a lot of marine aquarium users have setups like you mentioned, were by they have automatic water changes done using a controller such as the Neptune Systems APEX. The advantage is that they rarely have to physically do a water change, i.e. buckets of water in and out of the aquarium. In your case you wouldn’t have to worry about relying on someone to do the water change whilst you were away, also benefit is that you could monitor a lot of your aquarium parameters via your smartphone or other device with internet. If you don’t get a suitable answer here then you might want to consider going to the Neptune Systems Forum and ask the question there. Be aware that most of the forum focuses on marine aquariums but they are usually very willing to help out freshwater aquarium enthusiasts. P.S. no I am in no way affiliated with Neptune Systems I just really like using their APEX system and I only have freshwater aquariums.

9. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks MrT

10. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the reply. :)

11. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

I have been considering such a set up myself. So far the plans consist of a Brute trash can and a pond pump with a hose attached to it.

The whole thing will sit on a furniture mover (flat frame with wheels).

The pump will keep the water circulating to prevent stagnation and the hose can be taken out to use to fill the display tanks. this way you can treat all your water ahead of time and get it up to temp easier. This could be filled with a garden hose the day or two before needed. Keep the cover on and all is well in the world.

The only part I am really struggling to find my "Ideal" solution to is the power on/off switch. Obviously, you will want to turn off the pump when not in use and when goign to fill the tanks. some sort of switch will be helpful when doing things alone,