Is This Pop-eye? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Pameliacc, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Pameliacc

PameliaccNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Could this be pop-eye?
    A few days ago one of my dwarf rainbows got stuck in a piece of cholo wood. He injured his tail fin and had an abrasion proximal to his dorsal fin. I was suggested that I use Melafix and Pimafix for fin health. I did so for two days and stopped because I noticed that a different dwarf rainbow had an eye popping out.
    There have been a two recent changes in my tank though. I started using pressurized CO2 two weeks ago and I was concerned that was the problem but, all my fish were acting normal and without distress. I did a water change anyways. Four days ago I started feeding them a freeze dried fortified food instead of the usual frozen brine shrimp. IMG_4146.

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's also caused by injury and/or bacterial infections. Since he was hurt, this is probably the cause.
    Wait, this is a different fish than the injured one? Hm.

Yes, it's Popeye. You can do Epsom salt baths, a tablespoon per 5 gallons or about 1-1.5 teaspoons per 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes to reduce swelling.
    If there's a bacterial issue, try Seachem Paraguard. You can do hour long dips with it. Although with the injured fish, I'd just treat the tank since that'll help him ward off infection too and might help other fish in case something else is going on. I've used it with snails and plants and it doesn't affect the biological bacteria/filtration, although you don't have to take my word for it.

4. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes I checked the water parameters and all are within a healthy range. The only other thing that I can think of is that I did have a PH shift that day (while trying to get my pressurized co2 adjusted) and maybe that was the cause?

5. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hm. You quoted my post but didn't write anything, so I'm confused :emoji_sweat_smile:

6. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    I was actually looking this morning to see if anybody had posted a reply. I must’ve accidentally hit “reply”, sorry

7. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    ah, okay. Have you tried treating them? Any changes?

8. LeahsTank

LeahsTankWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +488
    Experience:
    3 years
    It is only one eye, so most likely it is an injury. I’d just keep the water pristine and fresh until it clears up. But keep an eye out (pun intended) for secondary infections.

9. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    Would you do salt bath to take down the swelling?

I was going to do a salt bath tonight. I had to order the ParaGard because our LFS doesn’t carry it

10. LeahsTank

Ratings:
    +488
    Experience:
    3 years
    It wouldn’t hurt to get others’ advice, but I wouldn’t bother with stressing him with a net. Unless of course, he develops an infection.

11. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You don't have to, but if there's already an internal infection or something going on, clean water and time won't necessarily do anything to help, and the eye is a sensitive thing. If you don't know if there's an infection, you can't watch for it. I personally wouldn't risk it, but you know your fish better. If you'd rather not do a salt bath and think it'll do more harm than good, then don't. It's your judgment call.

12. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +149
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Unilateral is usually from an injury, I've seen far worse but keep an eye on it, rainbows do like to dart around might have smacked himself on something... If it was both I would suspect bacterial, but as it is I'd just do an extra water change, give him good water quality. Likely wouldn't hurt to do melafix or salt or something, just nothing too drastic.

13. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you implying one eye can't have a bacterial infection?
    My concern is only that if it's not an injury and already a bacterial infection, waiting may not help. I don't like issues concerning the eyes and that's probably why I'm more about acting to treat it immediately.

14. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    Just an update. I moved the little guy with the popped eye into our hospital tank 6 days ago. During that time I have been dosing the hosp tank with Salt, melafix, and paragaurd without much improvement. He is still eating but his eye looks terrible. Will his eye ever recess back? Yesterday I dosed the hosp tank and his food with kanaplex and tomorrow I will repeat.
    The other tank looks fine and all fish are eating and acting normal. I do plan on dosing my main tank as well with Kanaplex, focus, and garlic guard . Everything I have read suggests that this combo should be safe for plants and shouldn't affect the good bacteria in my tank.

15. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It should, unless there's an internal infection. Kanaplex should take care of that. Maybe if damage of some sort occurred, it won't go down, but I haven't seen that so far in my limited second-hand experience and knowledge. You're using Epsom salt, right?

16. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Popeye is usually caused by an internal bacterial infection. Gotta treat it with antibiotics.

17. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, but with usually being the keyword there. I've helped someone treat their fish's Popeye with just Epsom salt and Paraguard; the eye seemed to have gotten an external infection probably from an injury that became very infected. Without knowing what's going on, I don't like to suggest antibiotics immediately unless with dropsy.
    Not disagreeing or anything, just adding on to this. People seem to either go natural with water changes and/or natural remedies or to the other spectrum, jumping straight to heavy-duty treatments like antibiotics, which is concerning to me.

18. LeahsTank

Ratings:
    +488
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yes. Make sure you are using epsom salt, not aquarium salt.

19. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    Oh no, I used aquarium salt

20. OP
    OP
    Pameliacc

Ratings:
    +8
    Since I used the wrong salt (aquarium salt), should I do a water change on my hospital tank before adding the Epsom salt?