Is This Pop Eye? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Luxwing, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Luxwing

LuxwingNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    2 years
    I was doing my weekly vacuum and noticed one of my albino Cory cats has a swollen eye. Her eye has always had an oddly shaped iris since she was given to me in April but today it suddenly looks swollen. I'm going to put her in a quarantine tank with some melafix when I can pick some up this weekend. I just wanted to know if this is actually pop eye or some other type of infection.

She acts normally and schools with everyone else and is eating / digging. Her other eye looks normal and everyone else in the tank is fine. 30 gallon Tank is cycled and all numbers are normal pre water change and vacuum. The other fish are five more albino and one bronze Cory, a common pleco and a half moon betta that have all been together since April and have never been aggressive to any tank mates. There are no sharp decorations in my tank and nothing added within the last two months. Any advice appreciated!

If it matter filter media is currently purigen that's been in for about three weeks (not dark yet)
    0726190911.0726190910a.0726190910.

2. DeanEllenFins

DeanEllenFinsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, it looks like it. Check the nitrate levels on your tank and medicate her immediately. Every moment counts and she could go blind or die if you wait.
    Best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    Luxwing

LuxwingNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you for helping me identify it! Checked and the nitrates had risen to 5ppm after the cleaning and the ammonia was rising so did a 25% water change and picked up some tetra lifeguard (store had no melafix). Gave the Cory a methylene blue dip and then dosed with the lifeguard. She seems happy and is digging through the sand and the eye doesn't look as red/purple as it did this morning. Will keep up the dosing and water changes as directed. Thank you again.