Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Is This Platy Pregnant Question

1. ALLIROO

ALLIROO Valued Member Member

This platy I’ve had for a while now and she is either a jouvinile 936e38e5e8773b1e3d1830e84c155520.jpg male or a female based off of her fin shape... she’s developed some darkest patches of scales and a lager belly, are these signs that maybe she’s pregnant???

2. xxforeverfrostxx

xxforeverfrostxx Valued Member Member

she may be... i had a platy who was pregnant, and she had frys. it could be overfeeding, but if you're not feeding her too much, she probably is. is there a male in your tank that seems to follow her sometimes?

3. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Yes I have a male- what should I do for the fry? I have some angels and I’m sure they could be eaten... should I separate her into my place tank until sh drops?

4. xxforeverfrostxx

yes, the best thing to do would be to put her in a different tank. it doesn't have to be too big. also, when the frys come, you should probably put the mother back in her original tank just to make sure she won't eat them. you don't have to feed them too much, and when they're grown to the right size, you can put them in your community tank :). anymore questions? i'm enjoying answering them. they bring me back to the times of my old platy.

5. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

I think that’s it... the fry can just have flake food right? It can be crushed small

6. xxforeverfrostxx

yep! you're right

7. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Awesome thank you very much

8. xxforeverfrostxx

anytime! i'm here to answer anymore questions!

9. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Just moved her and gave her some blood worms. Wish me luck with a healthy batch

10. xxforeverfrostxx

good! when/if the frys come, tell me!!

11. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Will do

12. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Ok, good news I found a little fry! Bad news, I don’t know how many there are because they’re so tiny and in a 36 gallon with plants and decorations. I definately counted and caught 4. Then I gave up put them back in and separated the mother. She might have eaten some- she wasn’t dropping any more when I found her

13. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

ee50560dbdafde636fd42f443f135725.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

I am curious though, since both parents are red I figured the fry would all be the same colorings. Since they’re tiny they are understandably clear but some have almost all black and some are like completely clear... Will I get different colorations of platies?!

15. xxforeverfrostxx

aww!!!! adorable!!! congratulations!!! she might of eaten some, but don't worry. it's possible though that some are just lying on the ground and may be dead already... happened to some of my frys. also, when my platy had frys, i also noticed they weren't the same color. only one survived, and it actually came out as black and white. i know that it wasn't another fish's fry because i never had a black and white fish. it was also a platy, i could tell. it's likely that you're gonna get a different color, but don't worry about that. some may grow up to be red, and you may not even know! i will be happy to answer any more questions. best of luck to you!!

16. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Awesome thanks!

17. xxforeverfrostxx

of course!!

18. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

So far I’ve counted for sure 6 loving swimming fry- and no predators in the tank so they should do ok. It hurts to try to spot them I have a headache lol

19. xxforeverfrostxx

:D awesome!! tell me if anything new happens!!

20. OP
    OP
    ALLIROO

Update: it’s been two weeks since I first spotted fry and they’ve grown up so I can spot them a lot easier now! I still haven’t gotten an accurate count because they’re so fast and some of them sit on the gravel , blend, and hide. I’ve noticed two distinct colorations, either all red or clear with black fins... maybe they haven’t all developed color yet- they aren’t even a cm yet. Very tiny but starting to eat better and seem more lively and starting to notice personalities to different fish. 2 are lazy and just find new places to sit around lol

Advertising