Is this planaria?

Jojo205
I just saw this in my tank, is it planaria? About 1/4 inch long. And how do I get it out if it is? One of my guppies just died (he was sort of sickly- it wasn’t disease, the other guppy in the tank is perfectly fine) and I noticed these 2 worms right next to where his body was.

83020182-A537-4E20-A725-44F5F81A27E6.jpeg

9D4D772B-B690-41C1-90BC-D69F88F03F01.jpeg

Kribensis27
They look like planaria to me. They were likely eating the guppy's body. I don't know about eradicating them, my previous attempts mostly failed. I think it can be pretty rough on a tank to try, though.

BlackOsprey
Yup, those are planaria. They make traps for them, but I've found the only way to thoroughly eradicate them is chemical warfare with deworming medicines.

richiep
They are very big planaria and quite capable of taking down a small guppy
There are only two methods to eradicate them thats Planaria zero or Fenbendazole both are completely safe to fish but will kill snails
Don't crush them as they will regrow
Forget about traps that won't work it must me chemical
I'd like your permission to take this photo and put into the fishlore library as these are big specimens
The whiter part you can see is its mouth which sits about midway in the body

Jojo205
richiep said:
They are very big planaria and quite capable of taking down a small guppy
There are only two methods to eradicate them thats Planaria zero or Fenbendazole both are completely safe to fish but will kill snails
Don't crush them as they will regrow
Forget about traps that won't work it must me chemical
I'd like your permission to take this photo and put into the fishlore library as these are big specimens
The whiter pare you can see is its mouth which sits about midway in the body
You can definitely use the pix! I didn’t realize they were so huge lol. I’ll try one of the medications and see if it works. I don’t care about the snails dying, there are too many of them already!

richiep
Those two meds will definitely get rid of them just make sure you don't overdose with them

Jojo205
richiep said:
Those two meds will definitely get rid of them just make sure you don't overdose with them
Ok! btw, i took a video of the planaria if u want those too lol, I’ll just have to figure out how to post it on youtube from my phone.

richiep
That will be useful when you work it out lol

Jojo205
richiep said:
That will be useful when you work it out lol
hope this worked, lmk if u can’t watch it haha

richiep
Yes it worked thanks for remembering

SamMe
Several fish species eat planaria. I know my Harlequin Rasboras and Danios did when I had them in my tank. Some guppies will. Do you happen to have any other fish in the tank that might take care of them for you?

Jojo205
SamMe said:
Several fish species eat planaria. I know my Harlequin Rasboras and Danios did when I had them in my tank. Some guppies will. Do you happen to have any other fish in the tank that might take care of them for you?
I have a single guppy now (there were 3 males but the other 2 died due to sickness and bullying.... i learned from my mistake and won’t put 3 males in such a small tank again!) , he eats off the bottom of the tank a little bit i haven’t seen him eat any planaria or other worms) The tank is only 5 gallons so i don’t have room for any more fish.

Kathylee
SamMe said:
I just wanted to chime in- I found 1 in my tank months ago.. & I went to pull it out with a turkey baster, knocked it off the glass and my Mollie fry (about 3 months old at time) ate it! I've never seen another. So I guess sometimes the fish eat them. I've learned mollies will eat anything though..pigs..

richiep
Kathylee said:
I just wanted to chime in- I found 1 in my tank months ago.. & I went to pull it out with a turkey baster, knocked it off the glass and my Mollie fry (about 3 months old at time) ate it! I've never seen another. So I guess sometimes the fish eat them. I've learned mollies will eat anything though..pigs..
Mollies and gourami are known planaria eaters and will keep them at bay but won't get rid of them all

Jojo205
My guppy will eat anything but i think these are too big for him.

Top Bottom