Is this ph level normal?

1. Katesfish Initiate Member

I just tested my fish tank ph level. I really have no idea what that even means, I just know that I have been told and seen that I need to know the nitrate levels, ph levels, ammonia, and a few others. I didn't have any aquarium testing kit right now, so I used a pool water tester. I put some of my fish water from the tank in a bowl (to not disturb the fish), and stuck in the little stick. Unfortunately, the only thing I could use for aquariums is the ph level. (Obviously, everything else the stick told me had to do with pool chemicals and stuff.)
    It said that the ph level for my tank was 7.0. I really don't understand if that is good or bad, so I was wondering if someone would help me out. Thanks! And, once again, I am really sorry if someone else has posted something like this.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    -Kate

2. Fall River Member Member

Hi, Welcome to fishlore! You've come to the right place.
    Very first thing I recommend is that you invest in an API freshwater Master testing kit. It is the most valuable tool you have to establish a healthy aquarium. A Ph of 7 is good, right in the middle of the scale. But for now you shouldn't worry about the Ph. Here is a link to our beginner articles, they will help you understand a lot about how to set up, cycle, stock, and maintain a tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...rst-freshwater-beginner-important-topics.html

After you have read up on the basics you'll have a good idea on the steps to follow. Ask any and all questions you need to, there are NO dumb questions!
    Best of luck

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello again! Firstly, I'm not familiar at all with pool water testing kits...I'd assume they would work for aquarium water too (water is water, right?) but I'm not positive.

Unfortunately strip tests are not very accurate. If your class is contemplating getting a larger tank, then spending money on a liquid test kit is probably not in the forseeable future, but they're much more accurate.

7.0 is just fine for fish. (As a little aside, pH is a logarithmic scale to measure how acidic or basic something is. 7.0 is neutral on this scale.) Each fish has its own preferred range, but fish can adapt very well to a different pH, assuming they are given time to acclimate. It would be much worse to try and fiddle with the pH by using chemicals than to just leave it, if it was too high or too low (but again, 7.0 is just fine). Trying to change it stresses the fish because it is constantly going up and down.

So, the short answer - your pH is fine :)

4. SJ408 Initiate Member

7 is neutral, but that is a good thing:) Most people have super high levels in their pH so you're fine!

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there and :sign0016: to FishLore!

I think I missed something...your class??

I read your aquarium information (good for you for posting it!) and wanted to suggest a few things right away. In addition to investing in an AP Freshwater Master Test Kit (you can order one online for as little as $16.99 at petmountain.org), you need to invest in a bigger tank and a FILTER. It's a myth that bettas don't need filters to survive in aquaria. They do. Filters host beneficial bacteria that removes harmful toxins from the water. These toxins include 1) Ammonia, 2) Nitrite, and 3) Nitrate. You can find out why controlling these toxins is so critical to fish health by reading up on the nitrogen cycle <--- click on this link.

Also, invest in a good water dechlorinator. Most folks here recommend Seachem Prime, although Amquel+ also works well. I see that you listed water decholorinators but I didn't know which one(s) you used.

And, you can skip the distilled water. Why? Because fish need certain minerals that are contained in tap water.

Well that's enough to keep you busy for a little while anyway haha. Keep us posted!

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

First off, Hi and welcome to fish lore!

pH is something that tells you the where the acidity of the water is, either acidic or basic, the range on the scale can run from 1-14 and its measured in standard units, pH is a logarithmic function and therefore does not always perform the way we would like it to. That aside your pH of 7.0 is great for the fish, but after reading your profile it is due to the distilled water.

You really don't have to use distilled water for your betas, they will do just fine in tap water. If you have chlorine in your water the sachem prime or the amaquel listed above will both take care of dechlorinating the water. Also as mentioned there are minerals in your regular water that your fish would like to have in their water (I mean have you ever taken a drink of Distilled water? it has no flavor).

The other thing is that a 1gal tank really shouldn't be decided, the fish would like a bit more space than that. If you find you really enjoy keeping these fish then I would look to invest in a couple slightly larger tanks, or at least a 5gal tank, before you get into dividing tanks.

Again we are glad to have you here and will happily offer all the free advice that we can!