Is This Parasites Or Other?

1. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    Tank size: 55 gallons
    I have been noticing some odd behavior in some of my goldfish. They have not been flashing, bottom-sitting, or gasping at the surface, but every now and then they’ll twitch their fins like they’re trying to scratch an itch. I wasn’t totally sure what to make of it, so I just kept an eye on them but decided it was probably nothing. Today, though, I noticed my newest fish, who I’ve only had for a few weeks, had weird, pimple-looking things on his wen:
    BBA34591-EE01-4BC3-BC26-A666A28699EF.jpeg
    I decided to pull him out of the tank and examine him, and that’s when I realized that it was more than just a couple white dots, there was actually quite a bit of red, gross-looking tissue around his head:
    1A30B597-86CD-4439-8332-C1230BF627ED.jpeg
    I took tweezers and tried to pull out whatever was inside the “pimples”, then gave him a hydrogen peroxide swab on his infected areas and put him back in the tank. This is what came out of them:
    904C8F28-613F-4967-9220-34E1AC941687.jpeg
    It wasn’t moving, but it sort of stayed together too well to just be pus. What is this? Is it parasitic or bacterial? How should I be treating it? On hand, I have Prazipro, Stresscoat, Melafix, an herbal medication that’s supposed to help with various bacterial and parasitic infections, and “all in one” treatment tablets.

I feel like it’s worth mentioning, one of my other fish has black spots on her scales. It’s not ammonia burns, and I was worried that it was parasites. But I noticed a few missing scales in that area, so I assumed it was a bruise.
    625B0331-0B6A-485A-81A7-0AFB26280847.jpeg
    Please help, I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to lose any of my babies :(.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like your goldfish has hole in the head disease. Usually due to poor water quality issues and poor diet.

The white cysts you see will fall out this forming a hole in the head. You can also see the line across the body which is the nerves reacting to the parasite.

You should look at getting medication that treats hole in the head. API General Cure will work as well medication with metro.

Flashing on objects is also a sign of external parasites.

3. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I do weekly 50% water changes and have two filters to keep the tank clean. I feed pellets as a staple diet with bloodworms, shrimp, lettuce, cucumbers, and occasional fruit like orange and watermelon. What else should I be doing for water quality and diet?

4. Fashooga

What two filters are you running?

5. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

They’re both Tetra HOB filters. One is a “whisper” and I can’t remember the name of the other. It’s a standard 55-gallon filter.

6. littlesnete

littlesnete Valued Member Member

Sorry to jump in, but can you explain "the line across the body which is the nerves reacting to the parasite?" I'm currently dealing with a goldfish that may have parasites and I don't know how to tell.

7. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

@littlesnete I think he’s referring to the erosion of the lateral line, which can happen due to the same parasites that cause hole in head.

I ordered a medication with metro. It’ll get here Tuesday, and until then I’ll treat with hydrogen peroxide.

8. Fashooga

You see in the first picture that the OP posted, you see the gold on the body and the line across it? That would be the line. This is what I've ready and seen on the internet that they mention about a line across the body.