Is This Overstocking Okay For A Little While

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvind2205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know, went a little overboard and now I'm overstocked. Question is how much?

The bad: Overstocked!! 10 Gallon tank with inhabitants:

- 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnow (I know there should be 5 or more, but one died a while back and I didn't want to add one back, additionally the LFS is out of longfin WCMM).
- 3 adult Endlers
- 3 juvenile endlers (3 month old)
- 4-5 small endler fry (2 weeks - one month old), they just keep having babies
- 2 otocinclus

Inverts:
- 3 RCS
- 2 Amano shrimp
- 1 nerite snail
- 1 Assassin snail

Somewhat good:

- Nicely planted
- Well filtered, - one HOB and 1 Large sponge filter fed by air pump for 20 gallon tank
- Weekly 33% water change
- Fish are healthy
- Parameters very good, 0-0-10

I added 3 otos, the amanos and nerite to work on the algae along with reducing feeding. One oto died during shipping and one in the tank, within the first week. It has been 4 weeks since and now my algae is at all-time lows and I add spinach/zucchini to make sure my cleanup friends have enough to eat. Didn't think it through, did too much too fast. I will be moving in 3 months to hopefully my own home instead of renting, and then I will get the biggest aquarium I can fit in there, maybe 75+. Right now I dont want to get a bigger tank as that will become hard to transport..

Having said that, how bad is the overstock here? There hasn't been any health issues with the fish, can it go a few months with the current setup? If there was one immediate thing I could do to fix this tank, what would it be? Give away WCMM?

Please be gentle I understand there is a problem and I want to get opinions. TY

Attachments

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You are very overstocked and badly. While normally you shouldn't follow the 1 gallon per inch rule as it can be inaccurate. This stocking more than triples the 1 gallon per inch rule. For a healthy tank with this much fish you would need a 30-40 gal. Your filter won't compensate you to do a weekly water change. You will need to do water changes every 3 days, I really couldn't estimate but I would say 35%-45% a day. Your fish may seem like they are healthy and they probably are. This is because you have a lot of baby fish that won't produce much ammonia. However, if you don't move to a larger tank soon, and the fish start growing, your fish are more likely to die from stress. If you plan on keeping this tank, it's unlikely you will see your fish grow to adult size. Not to mention they will have barely much room to swim when they are adults. Don't worry too much though. Buying a larger tank is fairly cheap with Petco's $1 per gallon sale! good luck!

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You aren't unbearably overstocked, but your problem will only increase as your Endlers breed. I reccomend rehoming of all the female Endlers asap. It's never a good idea to add fish just to deal with problems, especially if you are overstocked. They could probably go a few months with water changes at least every 3 days as mentioned above, but keep in mind that having WCMMs limits stock quite a bit due to their low temperature requirements. Good luck, it's good that you're concerned about your tank and want to fix the problem

arvind2205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You are very overstocked and badly. While normally you shouldn't follow the 1 gallon per inch rule as it can be inaccurate. This stocking more than triples the 1 gallon per inch rule. For a healthy tank with this much fish you would need a 30-40 gal. Your filter won't compensate you to do a weekly water change. You will need to do water changes every 3 days, I really couldn't estimate but I would say 35%-45% a day. Your fish may seem like they are healthy and they probably are. This is because you have a lot of baby fish that won't produce much ammonia. However, if you don't move to a larger tank soon, and the fish start growing, your fish are more likely to die from stress. If you plan on keeping this tank, it's unlikely you will see your fish grow to adult size. Not to mention they will have barely much room to swim when they are adults. Don't worry too much though. Buying a larger tank is fairly cheap with Petco's $1 per gallon sale! good luck!
You aren't unbearably overstocked, but your problem will only increase as your Endlers breed. I reccomend rehoming of all the female Endlers asap. It's never a good idea to add fish just to deal with problems, especially if you are overstocked. They could probably go a few months with water changes at least every 3 days as mentioned above, but keep in mind that having WCMMs limits stock quite a bit due to their low temperature requirements. Good luck, it's good that you're concerned about your tank and want to fix the problem
Thanks to you both for your honest and constructive responses. This is why I really like this forum

I totally understand what you are saying - I will try to rehome either female endlers or WCMM soon. We have a nice local aquarium society so I doubt I will have trouble taking care of that. I actually have a 40b in storage from the $/gallon and but it's just that I will need to move in around 3 months and transporting a large tank after it's setup will be hard But for sure, once we are settled in the new place they will have a new tank. For the temperature issue unfortunately I did not know they were coldwater till I had already added 3 endlers and then did my research, now I keep the tank at 72 to keep both satisfied. Won't repeat that mistake!

Just wanted to clarify couple questions.(please don't think I am questioning your guys' expertise )

If I rehome just the WCMM, and give away some of the fry, would the stocking become acceptable? I really want to keep the endlers and otos.

Till I find a new home for the WCMM/Endlers, do i still need to do water changes twice a week rather than once a week if:

- All the fish are rather small, I measure the total around 20 inches right now (still well over, I know) and I don't overfeed
- Before water change, I've found the water to always be between 0,0,5 and 0,0,10. I also gravel vac with every change.

I do genuinely care about my fish and would like to make sure I do the right thing

Thanks again for your time.

wapooshe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rehoming the WCMM and the fry would still be a slightly overstocked tank. But, they should do fine until you move, since you are over filtering a 10gal with a 20gal filter. I would say this would allow for weekly water changes. Glad you are making sure your fish will live happy lives!

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isn't the assassin snail going to kill the nerite snail, too? One of the best things to do, while you monitor this tank, is to get a testing kit to verify your tank is still within good parameters.

arvind2205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rehoming the WCMM and the fry would still be a slightly overstocked tank. But, they should do fine until you move, since you are over filtering a 10gal with a 20gal filter. I would say this would allow for weekly water changes. Glad you are making sure your fish will live happy lives!
Thanks for the reply I actually have both filters, the one for 10 gal and the sponge rated for 20 gal. So it's even more! I will make sure to keep checking params with every water change though.

Isn't the assassin snail going to kill the nerite snail, too? One of the best things to do, while you monitor this tank, is to get a testing kit to verify your tank is still within good parameters.
The assassin is rather smaller than the nerite and prefers the odd tiny ramshorn/bladder snail (there are maybe 1 or 2 always left hiding in the plants). I do have a kit, the water tests very good when I do WC ( always under 0,0,10). Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom