55 Gallon Tank is this overstocked??

btate617

Nope, if it were me I would ditch the tiger barbs but that's just me.

Brian

Swifterz

I love TB's though! and I actually have a good group of them.. playful but not aggressive, although I do have a sick/injured one somehow right now (see other thread).

I would love to add one more species but I don't want to overdo it. I thought about kribs, but not a pair because I know they get nasty when they spawn.

NMfishman

Keep the TBs. You are getting close to overstocked, I would not add more than 1 medium sized fish (like four inches). The krib might be all right but defiantly only one and even one can be aggressive. I will let someone with more experience on the kribs make a better call on them. You could just leave it as is, which is what I would most recommend.

Nutter

Your right on what I would consider the stocking limit now. Like Brian, I would remove the Tiger Barbs. Add a couple more Giant Danios if you want to. I wouldn't add another cichlid as that will create lots of territorial aggression. If you were to try to add another cichlid I wouldn't choose a Krib. It will get beaten up pretty bad by the Firemouths. You would need something with a similar sort of temperament to the Firemouths.

Swifterz

I thought kribs had a reputation for being more nasty than the firemouths? my firemouths are very relaxed.

btate617

I really don't think kribs or firemouths are that tough of a fish.

Lots of people say this, many after keeping them in a smaller tank and well that's were most of the problems come from.

I said get rid of the barbs mainly because I just don't like them in cichlid tanks.

If you wanted to add another cichlid I would go with something that is a bit mellow like a Cryptoheros species. Maybe Cryptoheros CutterI or Cryptoheros Sajica would probably work out well with Meeki.

Brian

Swifterz

I love my tiger barbs. everything I have would fall under "semi-aggressive".

maybe a keyhole??

btate617

Yes and no.

They would get on ok with firmouths in a big enough tank, but in a smaller one you may not see them much. They will be able to defend themselves but will likely find a hole and hang out there and just defend it. If you found a keyhole around 4" I would say try it, anything smaller I think it would just hide out.

Brian

Swifterz

I would want to get a large one. otherwise I wouldn't buy it.

btate617

If it were me I would give it a shot.

Trouble with keyholes is noone keeps them for long as they are shy when young, so you don't come across big ones often. A cool fish once mature though.

Brian

Sammyboi1993

If You Wanted to keep another cichlid Type you could keep :
Keyholes
Rams
Kribs
Jewel

Personally I would say a GBR would be good, iv got them with kribs and they don't pose any problems and they are very colourful.

Swifterz

I really like jewels. just 1 maybe?

Sammyboi1993

Yes, They get to about 5 inch and if you wanted a pair youd have to be careful because like all cichlids they get aggressive when spawning.

You Could Even try a small Red parrot Cichlid they are great fish and very interesting.

harpua2002

If you're already wanting to keep 3 firemouths, I would not suggest adding another cichlid.

Sammyboi1993

Dwarf Chichlids Would Be Fine
And so would the others providing they have enough room to establish their own teratories and their is something to break their line of sight. That's What my LFS said to me and I have 3 sets of chichlids with not issues.

btate617

I wouldn't do rams, they are too small and eventhough firemouths are all show they are a bit to always in your face for rams.

Kribs are ok, they would probably work. Too small and goofy for me kinda like a big shellie.

I wouldn't do jewels either as a single fish or as a pair.

That's What my LFS said to me and I have 3 sets of chichlids with not issues.

What is working today may not down the road. That's good it is working for you. With most cichlids it is hit or miss. Just don't be surprised if one day your tank isn't the same as it is now.

Brian

Sammyboi1993

Yeah I suppose

harpua2002

Many firemouths are relatively mild mannered. Mine wasn't. I kept him in a 55 and then a 75 and he was the most aggressive fish I've had. He would have torn any smaller cichlids to shreds.

IMO everything the LFS says should be taken with a grain of salt. They are there to sell fish. If your fish fight and die, they sell more fish. If your fish fight and you rehome them, they sell a tank and/or equipment.

Swifterz

i'm leaning towards either 1 jewel or 2 kribs

Swifterz

I just realized it said 3 firemouth cichlids. I only have 2.

NMfishman

I don't know, I think the jewels are a little to aggressive for your tank and the kribs can become pretty aggressive when trying to breed and especially with a cramped tank like yours. If you really want to add something else to your tank I would recommend just one krib, but if it was me I would not add anything.

Nutter

Temperament varies a lot with Firemouths. I've had really peacefull ones & I've had some that are absolute terrorists. The only way to know if you can put anything at all with them is to try.

Only two Firemouths changes things a bit. With just a pair you could probably add one more cichlid. I would still stay away from Kribs, Rams, Apistos & Jewels but perhaps a Keyhole might do ok or a Sajica. They still might not allow any newcomers though if they are a decent size & have been established for awhile. If they are a breeding pair it is even less likely that they will allow new comers.

EDIT: Had to delete half of what I had written as soon as I found out that it was only two Firemouths.

bolivianbaby

I'd have to advise against jewels. Mine are EXTREMELY aggressive. They're beautiful fish, though.

Swifterz

well what I really wanted to do for a long time was a yellow lab or an acei, without question. either of those would be less aggressive than jewels or maybe even kribs.

I know some people use tiger barbs as dither fish for african cichlids. I just don't know about how they'd interact with the firemouths. so i'm guessing it's more about the water paramaters? but remember, these fish have been bred in tanks for probably hundreds of generations. I checked yesterday and my water is all good. my PH is 6.9... a little lower than ideal for african cichlids.

i'd take out the danios if I were to do it, so it would look like this:

2 Firemouths
AceI (#?)
Yellow Lab (#?)
Rainbow Shark
6 Tiger Barbs
Pleco

I have lots of rocks and some driftwood, plenty of space for hiding/territory. bad idea?

harpua2002

African rift lake cichlids should not be mixed with SA/CA cichlids IMO. Aside from differences in preferred water parameters, their dietary needs are very different (at least for Mbuna, which is what you've listed). The meaty foods that firemouths need can cause bloat in Mbuna, which are primarily herbivorous. These fish are also very different in terms of behavior- while you would generally overstock to help control aggression with Africans, this will only result in added stress and aggression from SA/CA cichlids.

Jaysee

harpua2002 said:
IMO everything the LFS says should be taken with a grain of salt. They are there to sell fish. If your fish fight and die, they sell more fish. If your fish fight and you rehome them, they sell a tank and/or equipment.
Or you return the fish to the store without a refund or credit, so they can sell it again. AND sell you another fish in the meantime.

Swifterz

oh I agree. there are about 6 or 7 places near me. i've gotten some downright 100% incorrect information from people for sure.

Sammyboi1993

My LFS Buy Back any unwated Fish orr do Exchanges

Iv got a Job Interview there soon aswell

Their a good LFS they Test All My Water For Free and give me discount

Jaysee

mine has realized that people will still give their fish up, even without a credit....

Meenu

mine doesn't credit either... oh well.

Sammyboi1993

Looks Like I'm The Lucky One

Nutter

harpua2002 said:
African rift lake cichlids should not be mixed with SA/CA cichlids IMO. Aside from differences in preferred water parameters, their dietary needs are very different (at least for Mbuna, which is what you've listed). The meaty foods that firemouths need can cause bloat in Mbuna, which are primarily herbivorous. These fish are also very different in terms of behavior- while you would generally overstock to help control aggression with Africans, this will only result in added stress and aggression from SA/CA cichlids.
+1. Never put rift lake cichlids with SA/CA cichlids. A long term PH of anything under 7.0 is likely to cause extreme stress & render a rift lake cichlid vulnerable to disease, perhaps even death. No rift lake cichlid is suitable for your tank with your current stock.

josh11551

Mine does do credit, but let's get back on track. I,personally, wouldn't put anything else in the tank, but if I did I would take something out first.

Swifterz

I gave away the danios, so now i'm down to:

2 Firemouths
5 Tiger Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Rubbernose Pleco

I kind of like it with fewer fish in there, but I would like to add 1 or 2 more.

Swifterz

thinking about adding several more TB's

Jaysee

Swifterz said:
thinking about adding several more TB's
Sounds good to me!

Swifterz

i've noticed that since I only have 5 they seem lazy. I had 10 at one point and they were super-active. that's part of the appeal to me. I love when they are constantly darting around the tank super fast. the 5 I have right now are kind of boring. do you think by increasing the size from 5 to 8 or 9 would make them all a little more active again?

Jaysee

Yeah, I think so.

Swifterz

good. I remember they were always in super-speed mode before and it was fun to watch. it's a nice variation from my slow-moving firemouths and rainbow shark. and the pleco, who I hardly ever see.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom