is this overstocked?? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Swifterz, Apr 12, 2010.

1. SwifterzValued MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Nope, if it were me I would ditch the tiger barbs but thats just me.

Brian

3. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i love TB's though! and i actually have a good group of them.. playful but not aggressive, although i do have a sick/injured one somehow right now (see other thread).

i would love to add one more species but i don't want to overdo it. i thought about kribs, but not a pair because i know they get nasty when they spawn.

4. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

Keep the TBs. You are getting close to overstocked, I would not add more than 1 medium sized fish (like four inches). The krib might be all right but defiantly only one and even one can be aggressive. I will let someone with more experience on the kribs make a better call on them. You could just leave it as is, which is what I would most recommend.

5. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Your right on what I would consider the stocking limit now. Like Brian, I would remove the Tiger Barbs. Add a couple more Giant Danios if you want to. I wouldn't add another cichlid as that will create lots of territorial aggression. If you were to try to add another cichlid I wouldn't choose a Krib. It will get beaten up pretty bad by the Firemouths. You would need something with a similar sort of temperament to the Firemouths.

6. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i thought kribs had a reputation for being more nasty than the firemouths? my firemouths are very relaxed.

7. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I really don't think kribs or firemouths are that tough of a fish.

Lots of people say this, many after keeping them in a smaller tank and well thats were most of the problems come from.

I said get rid of the barbs mainly because I just don't like them in cichlid tanks.

If you wanted to add another cichlid I would go with something that is a bit mellow like a Cryptoheros species. Maybe Cryptoheros Cutteri or Cryptoheros Sajica would probably work out well with Meeki.

Brian

8. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i love my tiger barbs. everything i have would fall under "semi-aggressive".

maybe a keyhole??

9. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Yes and no.

They would get on ok with firmouths in a big enough tank, but in a smaller one you may not see them much. They will be able to defend themselves but will likely find a hole and hang out there and just defend it. If you found a keyhole around 4" I would say try it, anything smaller I think it would just hide out.

Brian

10. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i would want to get a large one. otherwise i wouldn't buy it.

11. btate617Well Known MemberMember

If it were me I would give it a shot.

Trouble with keyholes is noone keeps them for long as they are shy when young, so you don't come across big ones often. A cool fish once mature though.

Brian

12. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

If You Wanted to keep another cichlid Type you could keep :
    Keyholes
    Rams
    Kribs
    Jewel

Personally i would say a GBR would be good, iv got them with kribs and they dont pose any problems and they are very colourful.

13. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i really like jewels. just 1 maybe?

14. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Yes, They get to about 5 inch and if you wanted a pair youd have to be careful because like all cichlids they get agressive when spawning.

You Could Even try a small Red parrot Cichlid they are great fish and very interesting.

15. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

If you're already wanting to keep 3 firemouths, I would not suggest adding another cichlid.

16. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Dwarf Chichlids Would Be Fine
    And so would the others providing they have enough room to establish their own teratories and their is something to break their line of sight. Thats What my LFS said to me and i have 3 sets of chichlids with not issues.

17. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do rams, they are too small and eventhough firemouths are all show they are a bit to always in your face for rams.

Kribs are ok, they would probably work. Too small and goofy for me kinda like a big shellie.

I wouldn't do jewels either as a single fish or as a pair.

Thats What my LFS said to me and i have 3 sets of chichlids with not issues.

What is working today may not down the road. Thats good it is working for you. With most cichlids it is hit or miss. Just don't be surprised if one day your tank isn't the same as it is now.

Brian

18. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Yeah I suppose :)

19. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Many firemouths are relatively mild mannered. Mine wasn't. I kept him in a 55 and then a 75 and he was the most aggressive fish I've had. He would have torn any smaller cichlids to shreds.

IMO everything the LFS says should be taken with a grain of salt. They are there to sell fish. If your fish fight and die, they sell more fish. If your fish fight and you rehome them, they sell a tank and/or equipment. ;)

20. SwifterzValued MemberMember

i'm leaning towards either 1 jewel or 2 kribs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice