Is this overstocked? Question

1. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Okay so I have a 10 gallon tank as I mention when I first post on the forum and this is the list of fish I have:

5 Zebra danios( 3 big zebra danios and 2 small ones)
    2 platies
    1 Juli cory
    1 snail( Not sure what kind of snail he is but I think its apple. The owner didn't say)

So I was wondering if this is overstocked?? Thanks.

2. Fishzone08 Member Member

hi
    Your tank is slightly overstocked you may have to remove some fish when they all get fully grown.
    The way to know if you are overstocked is how many inches the fish will grow to into gallons. So platys will grow to about 2 inches so that is 2 gallons out of your 10 gallon tank. This is only a rough guide.

3. crazedACD Member Member

It seems fine to me, if you make sure your water changes are done regularly and keep an eye on it with the test kit. :) The only thing that bugs me is the cory, they really like to be in groups.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Cories like to have some friends. I'm afraid you won't see much of the cute cory behavior out of yours.

With really good filtration, the tank may be able to handle the bioload, but I do think overall you are overstocked. What kind of filter do you have?

A good starting tool is aqadvisor.com, by the way.

I am not crazy about the inch per gallon rule. It's a very basic rule, but doesn't take into account filtration, tall vs. long tanks, body mass of the fish, etc. Also, it's only good if all the fish are going to stay under 2 inches as adults. In a long tank with great filtration and a steady, weekly maintainence schedule, you may be able to keep a few extra fish, but in a different tank with only a small filter, you may be able to keep very few fish.

5. ynaggo Member Member

I recommend doing 30% water changes every week just so you don't get your nitrates to high.

Your tank seems fine to me, You could add 2-3 more cories and it would be fine.

Pictures? :)

6. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Its a aqueon 10 gallon power filter. I actually wanted to get a 20 gallon tank, but my dad bought the 10 gallon tank instead, but its still mine though. Anyway..

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, so according to aqadvisor, you are very slightly overstocked at this point. It warns about the cories needing more, and needing a 1:2 m:f ratio for the platies. The filtration is fine, so your filter will be able to handle your current bioload.

If you add more cories, that website says you won't have enough filtration or space.

I know that fishlore does not endorse aqadvisor, or always agree with its recommendations, but I think in this situation, it is right.

My suggestion is that you return the cory, since you can't add more of them. If you want to add more, then I think you should take one of the other types of fish you have back.

8. ynaggo Member Member

Remember fish keeping is all about how you think the tank is and if you feel its not over stocked, its not. And the tank seems fine to me as long as you keep up the water changes.

I kept 5 Guppies, 4 Cories, 6 Tetra, 2 Platies in a 10g for 2 years at 45% water changes every week.

9. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would recommend returning the cory and then it should be fine. It is your tank however but put yourself in the fish's shoes, cories need tank mates to be happy and an overstocked tank can lead to fish stress and disease if you dont keep up weekly 45%- 50% water changes.

good luck with whatever you decide and merry christmas!

10. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Based on my limited knowledge, I would have to say that I think Meenu is giving the best advice here. I am considering re-homing my white clouds, originally to get some guppies but now I think just ease off on the bio-load since I don't want to have to change water more than once per week and I love all my other fish so I want them to have the best life possible.

11. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Alright. So I took a picture of the snail and here he is:
    305.jpg

So can you guys help me identify the snail?? The advices really helped

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to vehemently disagree with this. I do NOT think that as long as you think the tank isn't overstocked, it isn't. Stocking a tank is more than considering how often you have to change the water. I'm glad it worked for you, but you are an experienced fishkeeper. We've recently had someone on here who had 26 fish in a 10g tank and had no idea there was a problem.

Olive, I'm sorry, I don't know snails so can't help with the ID. ???

13. Camille Member Member

Your tank looks a little overstocked to me but I think you could get away with it as long as you have a good filter and do weekly water changes.

I wish I could identify your snail but I've never really had them or looked into them...

Good luck with your fish!
    -Camille:animal0028:

14. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Well according to the aqadvisor, it said my filtration system is good and really high like 200% or something, which I'm really happy about. I recently had a fish death 2 weeks ago and it was a juli cory, but I didn't add anymore fish before she died. So now I'm stuck with these guys for a while until I figure out what to do with my current fishes. My mom wanted me to get rid of the danios because they been causing problems lately like harassing the other fish, but they are no onger doing that now.

As for the snail, Thats okay guys. I'm not really sure what kind of snail he is either but I think he's an apple snail.

15. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Fish causing problems and harrasing other fish is a classic sign of over crowding and territorial issues which will only get worse as the fish grow. It is however your decision and I really have to agree with meenu.

I really hope you have no futher problems but with that stocking list I am afraid you will.

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

danios are fin-nippers. they can be aggressive - the smaller the school, the more aggressive they tend to be. I had six, and was still having enough aggression problems that I have mine away, just yesterday in fact. Most people report that bringing the school up to six fixes the aggression problem.

good luck in making the decision. I know you'll do what you think is best for your tank. :)

17. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

I only have 5 danios and lately they haven't biting on the others. Only at feeding times and when they are breeding( Which is every other day after they eat), but I don't really knew they were fin nippers, but luckly, all of the fish and the snail do not have long fins..

Well I din't buy any medication, but I bought bloodworms and a glass scraper and of course more flake food.