Is This Overstocked? (i Think Is Is)

Should I add the Corydoras? (6-8)

• Total voters

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I've got my 55 Tall tank that I've had for about a year and I'm starting to realise how much is in there that may be overstocking it.
I have in my tank;
1 pair of Angelfish
4 Empire Gudgeons
4 or 5 Kuhlis (I never see them so I think a few have died)
1 Pair of Bolivian Ram
1 Peppermint Bristlenose
1 Longfin Bristlenose
AQ Advisor is telling my im at 101% stocking and 26% weekly water changes (I already do 40%-50% weekly anyway)
I was thinking of adding 6 Bronze Corydoras? Is this ok with my current large filter and 50% water changes or should I just leave my tank as is?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know the rise in nitrates at a weeks time? Thats usually the best way to judge your stocking. If it only rises 10 ppm in a week your under stocked if it rises like 40 ppm in a week your over stocked.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What are your tank's dimensions? I don't think you're overstocked, but I wouldn't add more bottom dwellers. You already have gudgeons, kuhlis, rams, and two plecos on the bottom. If anything, I'd consider a schooling fish for the middle.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
nate24 said:
You might want to stick to either kuhlis or corydora, if i were you id get 6 more kuhlis
My kuhlis always die on me though. Over the last 12 months i've had 18 kuhlis and only 4 or 5 of them are still alive

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
david1978 said:
Do you know the rise in nitrates at a weeks time? Thats usually the best way to judge your stocking. If it only rises 10 ppm in a week your under stocked if it rises like 40 ppm in a week your over stocked.
It floats around 20pp. I like it there though because the plants use a lot of it

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
vikingkirken said:
What are your tank's dimensions? I don't think you're overstocked, but I wouldn't add more bottom dwellers. You already have gudgeons, kuhlis, rams, and two plecos on the bottom. If anything, I'd consider a schooling fish for the middle.
The tank is 36"L 14"D 24"H. The gudgeons tend to hang out mid water level sometimes at the bottom. The plecos are very timid and stay in their caves all day but at nigh they are much more active. The same for the kuhlis. I'm also very limited availability wise, I havent had cories for ages and really want some and they are currently 50% off and I could either get 6-8 cories or get some platies, swordtails or possibly some rummynose tetras (10) Ive had them before and they all slowly dropped off though so id be a bit cautious there

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
david1978 said:
Then it sounds like the bio load is pretty balanced in the tank.
Yeah and I clean the sponges in my filter ever 2 weeks and every now and then I chuck I'll replace some of the sponge to keep the cycle "fresh"

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tyguy7760 said:
I agree. I would add nothing else except maybe some more kuhlis.
Im a bit worried to though as ive lost 15 kuhlis in the last 10-12 months. Where I've only lost 2 cory cats ever

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I think you are pretty close to being stocked since this is a tall tank (assuming that means 36 inches long). Though if you really don't want to get more kuhlis, I'd suggest rehoming the ones you have. Perhaps then you have room for some corydoras.

Farlowella Fella

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used to lose kuhlis and then I started doing a much longer acclimation for them, like float for 30 and then do small water additions over an hour. They are super sensitive to changes in water conditions. since implementing my new regimen I haven't lost any.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Farlowella Fella said:
I used to lose kuhlis and then I started doing a much longer acclimation for them, like float for 30 and then do small water additions over an hour. They are super sensitive to changes in water conditions. since implementing my new regimen I haven't lost any.
Ok thanks. Anything thing that's turning me away from kuhlis Hough is even with 10-12 of hem I never see them! Always hiding in the roots of my amazon swords. I never see them as cool as they are. Whereas corydoras are always out

Farlowella Fella

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Braydens Bettas said:
Ok thanks. Anything thing that's turning me away from kuhlis Hough is even with 10-12 of hem I never see them! Always hiding in the roots of my amazon swords. I never see them as cool as they are. Whereas corydoras are always out
I find my kuhlis took a while to adjust and are now out and about during the day. that said they only share a tank with 5 pearl danios so not much to hide from.

you could rehome your kuhlis, or better yet, set them up in their own tank! then you can get corys. I really want to get some agassizi cories or i'd get aldolfoi if they weren't $30 each!

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Farlowella Fella said:
I find my kuhlis took a while to adjust and are now out and about during the day. that said they only share a tank with 5 pearl danios so not much to hide from.

you could rehome your kuhlis, or better yet, set them up in their own tank! then you can get corys. I really want to get some agassizi cories or i'd get aldolfoi if they weren't $30 each!
I'm not aloud to set up any new tanks ;( I just downgraded my collection from 7 tanks accounting to over 100 gallons to now only 3 tanks counting for 80 gallons. It is extremely hard to catch the kuhlis out in a heavily planted tank. And even then my parents say "you bought those fish, your committed you can't sell them" it's a huge pain because they don't even understand that that's how the Aquarium hobby works. You sell stuff when your bored of it. I could give them to my cousin for his 120 that already has like 12 kuhlis? Idk what the difference is between selling them and giving them to hi, but my parents let me do that.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What I might do is; get the Cory cats while they are super cheap (50% off) and coming up to Christmas I will be able to give the kuhlis to my cousin then. Or I'll convince my parents to Let me sell them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom