is this okay?

ANGEL_Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i am currently cycling mt 10 gallon tank and as far as i see it is doing good now my question is,would i be able to keep 3 red wag platies in there?1 male and 2 females?and would i be able to add anything else?possibly guppies or other types of platies like sunrise fire platies or mickey mouse?i am planning on breeding the red wags and will seperate them from the parents.when they breed too much i will probably give out the red wags or sell them.so can u please help me and i will add the fish once the tank is done cycling.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I personally wouldnt keep more than one male livebearer in a tank that size, they can be pretty agressive towards each other even across different species, 1 male and 2 female platies puts your tank at about 3/4 stocked which gives you room for 1-2 more females, a small centerpiece fish (I think a dwarf gourami could be good for this), or a clean up crew (maybe 3 cories, not sure about that though). Where are you planning on raising the fry btw? Are you planning on getting a seperate tank or using a breeders net? If youre using a breeders net it would probably be a good idea to understock the tank in anticipation of the added bioload new fry will add.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
Personally, I wouldn't keep platies in a 10 gallon. It's too small. The most I'd even think about keeping in a 10 gallon would be a trio of guppies (and I probably wouldn't even do that.) My 10 gallon is usually a betta tank. Right now, it's a cherry shrimp tank. It may, in the near future, become a sparkling gourami tank.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think if you want platies,then 1 male and 3 females would fully stock a 10 gallon. 10 gallons are tough if you want to keep more than 1 kind of fish. They are just too small for a community,but it can be done if you pick the fish wisely. But if you want platies,that is all I would get.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads