Is this ok? - Page 2

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably LESS but that wouldn't mean there would be no aggression. Like SunShadow said, it is all in the fish's personality. There is no guarantee there would be aggression and vice versa. Some Bettas can get along with anything, but others won't. I personally would not take the risk, but it is your choice of course, just make sure you can separate the fish if it doesn't work. It could work fine, but you will have to pay very close attention to them. I would hate to see anything happen to your fish. :-\

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be nice to say that you could put a female in with no problems, but I am finding that the females can chase and nip and bully the same as the males given the right personality. The crowntails and veiltails are supposed to be the least aggressive and the veiltails the least of the two. If you could find a veiltail female, you would probably have the most peaceable Betta you will find in a pet store. (There is a species of Peaceful Betta, but you will not find them in pet stores or for sale anywhere easily)

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a note you are probably not gonna find a veiltail at a pet store and crowntails are hard to find...you may need to order online if you want a special variety like that.
Also I might add that I would think a single female could cause problems, as she doesn't have other Bettas to distract her. It might be better to get three of them if you have room. What do you think Rose?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure if any of them are females though. It's hard enough just to find female Bettas at pet stores, let alone special varieties, unfortunately.

OP
leafgirl115

leafgirl115

Reaction score
Well I will have a look. And update you guys when I do something. It may be a wial kus the fry are still to small.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The females I see in the stores are all veiltails. The Walmart here only carries Veiltails both male and female so they are not hard to come by here. The mail order catalogs that I have seen have them as well unless they are specified as crowntails or double tails they are probably veiltails. They are without a doubt the most common type of Betta in most small stores now. For one thing they have been the cheapest fish, with the Crowntails running a close second anymore. The Crowntails were expensive when they first started to show up in the stores but no more.

It may vary from region to region about their availabiity though so I do hesitate to say that they are definitely available anywhere.

I hope this is what you needed.

Rose

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Veiltails are the only ones, male or female, that you can get around me also. I actually thought that they were the most "regular" variety.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are most people's idea of a Betta. The fish with the beautiful long flowing fins and lovely rich colors. They are very graceful in their movements and seem to float through the water. Very beautiful fish. It really is too bad that when Crowntails and Doubletails, and Halfmoons and Deltas and all the other species came out and became more available that they kind of lost popularity. My very first Betta, Azul was a Veiltail. pictures to follow (of course, when do I ever pass up this chance?)

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ebbandflow said:
Veiltails are the only ones, male or female, that you can get around me also. I actually thought that they were the most "regular" variety.
I stand corrected.  I didn't know that's what all the "regular" bettas were called.  In that case veiltails and crowntails are probably the two easiest varieties to find.  *smacks forehead*

hehe Rose I can tell you like taking pictures of your Bettas! ;D Beautiful as usual.

divakeeks

Reaction score
Ok, so I know what a veiltail is (I believe my dear departed Jesse was a veiltail) and I have 2 crowntail bettas ... may I ask for clarification on your COMBtail, Rose?

There are so many different kinds I am getting confused!!

THanks!

OP
leafgirl115

leafgirl115

Reaction score
this is a great sight (I think) that tell you about all the finage have a look:

divakeeks

Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you very much for that. I have been to that site before but apparently had never seen that page before. ???

Ahh well, now I know and knowing is half the battle!!

Off to feed the boys .. they are both staring at me.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Ebb! That is a great site and I had visited and missed that page also. It is wonderful to see sites popping up about our little buddies. The person that owns this site has provided me with a lot of information before and we do agree on most things. The pictures are great, I must find out someday how people get their babies to pose that well.

I am glad to hear you ask about the Combtails. Noel is the first one I had ever seen in person (fish) and I wouldn't even have recognized him as one if Gunnie hadn't brought it to my attention. So you see, the differences can be very small and deceiving. They are hard to come by yet, but hopefully not for long as they are Bettas with sweeter little personalities than the slightly more aggressive Crowntail. That is the only real difference I note between Noel and Marty. Marty is more aggressive and bigger in the body. Noel is smaller and his finnage is more delicate looking. He is also a quieter and more easily depressed Betta. It takes a lot of attention to keep him happy where Marty is content just as long as the TV is on. The girls are so busy chasing and playing and scraping that they don't even know me except at meal times.

There are many more species than the site has listed but those are the only ones you may ever have any hope of owning at any price.

Oh, and Yes I do love taking pictures of my Bettas but those are pictures of my first fish, Azul who has since gone to the large tank in the sky. Those were some of the first pictures I took of him. The only one of my present fish who knew him is Noel.

Rose

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom