Is this ok?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you made sure the water levels were good constantly and you did maybe every other day water changes than the 1 gallon tank would probably be fine, what's more important is the surface area and not the depth for bettas.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would have to have more room than 1 gallon for a Betta. I am sorry but I just cannot say that it is okay for a person to put a Betta in something that is unfiltered and not nearly big enough. There is no way a 1 gallon container can be safely kept heated. There is no heater made that will keep it at a level temperature and that is worse than having none at all.

Betta fish are living, breathing beings. They are not pretty toys to be put in a little jar or container and put on display for our pleasure. They are living their own lives and we should do what is the best thing for them all the time because they have to have us to help them.

The best case is to get a tank that is big enough (Walmart has 5 gallon tanks for $29.95 that have everything but the fish and the heater and gravel) Do a fishless cycle of the tank first before you even think about the fish being put in the tank. Then buy a fish to go into the tank.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually Rose I don't really want to contradict you but bettas can live in such containers. It won't die immediately or anything. I think what you mean is that a betta will be happier in a larger container with a filter. I know people who have certainly had their betta live a decent amount of time in a tank that size. It just isn't a very lively, happy betta like those of others I know.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
you are right, poe and I stand corrected.  The Betta can and will live in the container as shown, but you wiil have to watch the temperature level very closely so it does not overheat because of the small size.  You may also have to do water changes 3 - 4 times a week with dechlorinated water (50%) to keep the level of ammonia down.  You are going to need to get test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so you can do daily tests on the water to see that the water is not becoming toxic for your fish and if the water is toxic you must do a large water change if the fish is survive.  If you do those things I believe the fish can survive but I would work toward getting a larger container  with a filter and do a fishless cycle to give him a better home when you can and it will lengthen his lifespan and make him a much happier fish.

There are also filters that you can buy for tanks that size if you cannot get a bigger tank in the near future and they are not at all expensive.  It may be the thing that will keep your Betta more healthy in one of these tanks.  Of course you will have to go through the cycle process but if you are willing to go through the water changes while the cycle is going on it shouldn't be too hard,  the best would be to use a fishless cycle before you get your fish.  Here is a link to the small filter.  I have  used one on my little tank when I needed it for a quarantine tank and then later for a home for Misty and it worked well.

If you get this filter i would also get the 12 pack of filter refills.  It saves a great deal over the 4 pack and these filter cartridges do need to be replaced one piece at a time (black one one time and white one the next about every 3 to 4 weeks).  They are good little filters and you can adjust the flow to keep the Betta from being beaten up by the waterfall flow.

Oh yes one thing your little buddy might really love in there is a really tall plant to sleep in. They need to be close to the surface to breathe through their Labyrinth organ. At night they like to sleep close to the surface so the sleepy little buddy doesn't have to really wake up all the way. He can just glide up there, breathe, and settle back to bed. It is just a gesture of love to a sleepy little friend.

I hope this has helped.

Rose

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is only a precautuion if he does not get along with my Mollies. Sory i forgot to tell you.... Some people say that bettas may not like what i have in my tank. I also have a little bit of salt in my tank but a betta breeder said this was ok. I just wont to make shur i can keep him even if he is not ok in the 20g.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
he should be fine with the Mollies. a little bit of salt won't hurt him but not more than a teaspoon in 5 gallons or as you have 20 gallons no more than 4 teaspoons in there. (less if possible or he will need some StressCoat to keep his slime coat healthy)

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just looked at your signature and it says one of the Mollies is a sailfin. You cannot keep a Betta with any fish with long fins...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas do sometimes (often) mistake anything with long fins - dorsal or tail, as another betta and may fight the other poor fish to the death or at least serious injury. I do not know if I would risk it.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno...it might not be too bad.

BTW, I have to say this: I might be wrong but Rose it seems like the tank in the picture is the same size as yours. Am I wrong? It actually looks just fine to me really, it might just need a good filter.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
I just looked at your signature and it says one of the Mollies is a sailfin.  You cannot keep a Betta with any fish with long fins...
Hmmm........ I have Dante in a 20 gallon with guppies, swordtails, platies (including a high-fin male) and (3) black skirt tetras. He's done no damage to any of them....... I don't raelly think Bettas will seriously fight another long-finned fish unless they fight back. There may be nipping and squabbles, but I don't see more than that in my tank. Dante doesn't like the Black skirt tetras, but they don't get along with each other, either. They have divided my tank into 3 sections, and become territorial if another (B.S.T.) swims into their area.
I have also successfully kept Bettas with angelfish and Congo tetras. I think it is all in the personality of the fish. I read somewhere about a man who succeeded in keeping two male Bettas together....... no fighting, no fin nipping............ I think he started keeping them together from "fryhood"........

Just my two cents here............

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, poe, LOL mine is a 5.5 gallon. It is just the way the picture looks. I believe this one is a one gallon.

Rose

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well Ill try it... but ill monortor it realy closely. Ill keep him in the 1g for a couple of weeks then try him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom