Is this ok for a Quarantine tank?

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Atavar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. A

Atavar Valued Member Member

New discus are on the way so I wanted to set up a proper quarantine tank. Unfortunately as I was cleaning it I klutzed and broke the 15gal tank in the bathtub rinsing station :;fru. Do you think this will be an acceptable substitute for a couple of weeks?

[​IMG]

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know about Discus, but a couple of things not pertaining to any certain fish....

How many gallons is it?
    I notice you have an HOB heater, the water level has to be up to the minimum water level line otherwise it could crack or malfunction.
    Once you fill the tote to that line, it's going to be pretty full. Without a lid, the fish could jump, a pet could get to them or something could fall in.
    Do you have a seeded filter?

As far as the Discus themselves, someone else will have to address that.
    They're beautiful fish, be sure to post some pics :)

3. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

As long as you can properly heat and clean/filter it, it should be fine. Just not a conventional tank. I assume it was cleaned/rinsed before putting fish in and there is bacteria ready for it so you don't have a cycle?

Also, not sure about financials, but if you have an LFS like here, you can probably get a used tank for 10 bucks. They got used 10's here for less then 10 bucks.

Either way, good luck!

edit:: Lucy beat me to it while I was double checking my post.

For the cover issue, how do you feel about cutting the top? You could cut the top to fit around the filter/heater.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    A

unfortunately the nearest LFS is 70 miles away and the discus should be here tomorrow.

There is no HOB filter at the present time. As it was just going to be a couple weeks I was hoping I could manage water with daily changes. I suppose if need be I could rob the seeded HOB from the goldfish tank for a while or use the 2gal sized filter I have left over from a betta tank.

What you see in the photo is a heater and a hose to a bubble wall.

5. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I had to do that once when we were having new carpets installed. I think I may have had my fish in a long tote like that for a week or two and everyone survived the transitions.

I dumped all my gravel into the tote and then began filling it with tank water. Once it was pretty full I put the fish in and then dumped the reamining tank water. I used the hoods to cover the tote since the tank was empty anyway. I just put my heater and HOB filter on the tote and all was well.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO a discus, or any fish but labyrinth ones, cannot go without a filter for 2 weeks...even with daily changes.....I think that would stress your fish ouch much more...especially discus....and slug has a pic around here somewhere to prove that discus DO JUMP and jump far....

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

+1. You'll need to get a filter on there for your discus or they won't make it through the QT period. :(

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The heater as was stated above needs the water up to the water line. If it's not it will get hot crack, melt the plastic and possible electrocute the fish. The problem with totes(I used them for fry grow out) is that when they get full they tend to bow at the sides. We used bungee cords(rubber with hooks on each end) connected to each other all the way around the totes to keep it from bowing too much.
    A submersible heater would work great and a sponge filter connected to your air line.
    Keep us posted please.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    A

Buggers! The USPS trucks missed each other so the poor fishes have to spend another night in the box! I hope they'll be ok..

10. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Its possible yes. Looks like a decent setup. Beware of top off concerns. The water will evaporate pretty quick from that. I'd do WCs as much as I could in that, even if its just sucking the poo out and replacing a cup or two of water.

How big are the fish you are getting?

Filters are ovrrated. What do they do? Push water. Put oxygen into the water. Thats it really. Considering how small this box is, and discus don't like high flow....flow shouldn't really matter. As long as you have oxygen in there. All i use in my tanks are sponge filters and airstones. No HOBs, no canisters, just sponges. All they do is bubble, don't produce a current or anything. The fish are perfectly fine with this setup.

Discus do jump, very true. Had it happen. Just be careful and pay attention. Most of my tanks are open tops, surprisingly the fish that jumped did it with a cover over the tank.

11. ifixoldhouses

ifixoldhouses Valued Member Member

I'd never trust the usps to deliver a fish, thats not going to be good if they have been in a box 48 hrs.

12. OP
    OP
    A

The Discus arrived today and for better or for worse they are swimming in the tub. I took advantage of one of the benefits of living in a small town and i met the post mistress in the office when she came in at 6:45 AM.

The fishes were packed nicely in a styrofoam cooler with heat packs that were still warm after 48 hours. The fish were in individual heavy plastic bags with about two cups of water each, The bags were wrapped with sodden newspaper which initially caused me concern but on reflection probably facilitated heat transfer from the heat packs to the bags.

The two cups of water in each bag seemed rather minimal, but then the fish arrived swimming and undamaged, so I guess it worked.

I figure I'll give them an hour to calm down then feed them on my way out.

What I ordered were two "Fire Dragon" discus and one blue diamond. The fishes look more like a pair of mandarins and a white diamond, but I am hoping that is because they are 2.5" juveniles and that coloring will show up as they de-stress and mature.

I will put up pictures when I get a chance after work today. My priorities this morning were getting the fishes settled then getting to work on time.

13. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Agree with what is said above. The waterline is too low for the heater to work properly and you need a filter for sure.

14. OP
    OP
    A

I got the water line up to a safe level for the heater, and I put in a small bubbler type filter. So far so good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice