is this normal? Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by red020804, Mar 19, 2010.

1. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

I have 4 male guppy's in my 20 gallon tank along with 2 molly's (1 male and 1 female), and two male black phantom tetras. march 20th will be adding one more female molly and one more male black phantom tetra. My question is within the last few weeks two of my guppy's ,the yellow and the turquoise, their stomachs have gotten fat. i mean if they were females i would think they were pregnant. lately the turquoise one likes hiding in the corners at the bottom of the tank behind plants. before the yellow one got fat he was sick i think because he just sat at the bottom of the tank and was shrinking. we did a couple of water changes and he started moving around more and now he has gotten fat like the turquoise one and now hangs at the top of tank in the corner. the two orange guppy's are fine. are they sick? im new to fish so i dont know whats going on. plz help if you can. i will include two pics of the turquoise and 1 of the yellow guppy and one of the orange one just to compare.

Attached Files:

2. ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMollies New Member Member

They may be constipated. If you don't already you should fast your fish 1 day a week, and along with their regular flake food give them veggie flakes. my fish also love peas. if you peel the skin off of one pea, and cut it small the fish will devour it. that will help with constipation. other than that I dont know what else it may be.

Good luck.

3. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

As suggested, peas are the best way :)
    I wouldn't fast them for one day a week though, I would just only give them peas on one day a week :) But either way, it should work :D

4. OP
    OP
    red020804

thanks for the suggestion. another question though how do i get the guppy's to get the peas before my molly's do. lol

5. platy ben

Good question!

With great diffculty :) Just put it enough for everyone :D They don't need much, just one little piece a day should suffice :)

6. OP
    OP
    red020804

:) i'll try that i just hope the turquoise one decides to swim to the top to eat when i do. lately he just waits for the food to drop down then grabs some. this might be a stupid question but do i just use the canned peas? do i take straight from the can or do i need to cook them first?

7. platy ben

I would put them in some boiling water for about 30 seconds just to soften them up :)

If he doesn't come up, something you could try.
    Cut the pea up tiny, then suck it up in some water in a pippette and then shoot it infront of the guppy :)

8. OP
    OP
    red020804

ok thanks so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice