Is this normal?

connorjs1004

So I came down this morning to the basement tank only to see one of my nerites stuck to the lid of the aquarium! It was moving around and I could see it actively pooping so could tell nothing was really wrong, but is this normal behavior for them to go out of the water? Also, is it bad if they do this for a prolonged period of time or should I just keep putting it back into the water like I did this morning?

tempImageSPXOho.png

Fisch

They like to meander above the waterline and are able to survive outside the water for several days. I do not move them back as they will find their way into watery territory. Just make sure they don't leave the tank.

Revan

From my experience, nerites just tend to do that. My nerite is always either hanging on my wood or scaling the glass. It’s not that something’s wrong with the tank water, they just do that.

mattgirl

I have to think they will know when it is time for them to go back into the water. Sometimes snails will leave the water if something in it isn't to their liking. Is this tank cycled? If so are the nitrates on the high side? If I see something unusual I usually pull out my test kit to make sure all is well in their world.

nanoist

Totally normal. They do this sometimes especially if you have hard water like me and calcium build up at the water line they will stay up there eating at it and go over if they’re curious on if there’s more. I’ve also heard they’re tidal snails and will tend to withstand periods without water. And yes, some people say that this behavior can also be an alert for you to check your parameters as snails are sensitive to off-parameters and will escape the water if it’s not optimal. I would just test your water just in case, if it’s fine then it’s just getting some fresh air :)

connorjs1004

Everything seems to be in check, no ammonia, no nitrites, and 10ppm nitrate.
Its happened a few times in last day or so, but its always the same one out of the 5 I have in the tank.

Revan

Yeah, I think it's just that snail's nature.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
Replies
Views
oceansfish
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies
Views