Is This Normal? Question

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by izahbel avan, May 20, 2019.

1. izahbel avan New Member Member

I have a female red wag platy and a male platy that is trying to mate with her, but my male gold panda molly and one of my male guppies are also mating with her. There is also a female molly in the tank, but he shows very little to no interest in her and only shows mating activities with my platy. Is this normal behavior? And will any offspring be sired from the male molly or guppy? I’ve heard some people say that they will have offspring and others that say they can’t.

2. fjh Well Known Member Member

In general, livebearers will always try to make with each other. The larger the female, the more interested they are in mating. So I would say this isn't unexpected.
    I am pretty sure guppies and mollies can cross breed, and platies and swordtails can cross, but neither the guppy nor molly can breed with a platy. If you loo up their scientific names you can see the similarities.
    Slightly off topic... with livebearers its recommended to either have a same-sex tank or 2+ females for every 1 male. This is to prevent the males from overly harassing the females (which seems to be happening in your tank). Just some food for thought.

3. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Someone said that they successfully had fry and that is less than a 40% chance for a molly to have fry with a platy.
    This person never posted prrof or photos of their breedings.
    But science says it's pretty much impossible for a platy molly cross to exist since they're from a different genus.
    Generally the rule is if their scientific names are different, they can't produce offspring.

Mollies and guppies can interbreed, and platies and swordtails can interbreed.
    So you can get plattails and muppies, but not guppy/platies or molly/platies.

Theyre likely harassing her due to a lack of colorful females of their own species.
    Some males simply can't get the job done.
    Even though they say "if she's been with a male she's pregnant" a lot of males seems to have trouble actually breeding.
    You may never get fry from her, especially with other males harassing her competing for the prize.
    Depending on the tank size, you may want to get mollies and guppies of similar colors to your other fish. Or maybe even female endlers since they're more striking than most female guppies.
    Often times if you dont get a fancy enough guppy or molly female, your males will still go after a larger different species female.

4. emeraldking Well Known Member Member

Most males of ovoviviparous livebearers tend to chase females of other ovoviviparous livebearer species. But that doesn't mean an actual mating will take place. It's not particular the genus itself that prevents them from a possible mating. It's the shape of the genitals that makes a possible mating. In general, the shape of the gonopodium of an ovoviviparous livebearer male (viviparous... so, real livebearers the sexual organ of a male is called an andropodium) differs of each species. The female genitals are compatible with the gonopodium of their own kind or a related species. Otherwise, a real mating won't take place.

The remark that you'll hear often that when a female has been with a male, the female is always pregnant is totally incorrect. Most female ovoviviparous livebearers do have the ability to store sperm packages (so, not all of them...). But if a stored sperm package is not being released by the female herself (a female decides wether such a package will go through or not), then there is no question of fertilization by all means.

There are people that claim that an impossible cross has actually happened just because they're put a male from a certain species in with a female of another kind. And at a certain point she got pregnant and delivered. But knowing that most female ovoviviparous livebearers can store sperm packages for a long time (not just 3 months but even over a year but the quality of the sperm will become less), the offspring might be just of her own kind.

A male/female ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 doesn't have to go for all livebearers. There are lots of livebearers that do well at a ratio of 1:1 without any harassment. But that's an experience you'll have when keeping livebearers that ain't that standard. But even within the "Big 4" (mollies, guppies, swordtails and platies) there are strains that can be kept on a ratio of 1m:1f perfectly. For I've kept and I'm still keeping specimens of the "Big 4" that can be kept the way I've just mentioned.

Crossbreeding with the ones mentioned in this topic, the options are already mentioned by the two ladies overhere. Swordtail and platies are compatible. Mollies and guppies are compatible. But mollies won't crossbreed with xiphophorus strains (swordtails and platies). Unless, an artificial insemination will take place. It sounds weird but artificial insemination does happen to create a new strain as well nowadays.
    When there's a group or even a colony of livebearers, the female tends to mate with the best looking male or the one that flares the best. The socalled sneaky males are the lesser looking males or even the smaller males that try to mate with a female when a dominant male isn't around. But again, the female decides who she allows to mate with her. Which means that a certain number of males may chase a female(s) the whole day but will never end up with an actual mating.

5. izahbel avan New Member Member

Thank you so much for the information guys!