Is This Normal?

1. Emuhlee

Emuhlee Valued Member Member

I'm still very new to caring for bettas. This is rose. I've had her for about a month and she is so amazing and active. She's had this belly for awhile now though and I'm not sure if she is bloated, egg bound or of that's just normal. I've read to give peas to them as a laxative.. But I'm scared to. Mostly because I only have canned sweet peas. Can they be soaked and given to Her? I just want her to be as healthy as possible. Sorry, bad quality. She gets really excited and moves ALOT when she sees movement. 20180501_223644.jpg

2. sea-potato

sea-potato New Member Member

I've never had a female betta but she does look constipated to me. Have you seen her poop? Don't use canned peas, you can get a small bag of frozen peas to keep on hand. Boil some water, drop in a pea for 30 seconds, then drop it in cold water to cool it off. Peel off the shell and feed her a couple of tiny bite size pieces. See if her belly gets smaller over the next day, it always has for my male betta.

3. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

When she was in a smaller tank I saw poop, but it's harder to see in a bigger one.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Id say she had eggs but hard to see...

5. sea-potato

sea-potato New Member Member

I know what you mean. Try the pea and if her belly doesn't shrink she may have eggs or something else. I'm also new to fishkeeping so I can't give you more advice than that. Good luck, she's cute!

6. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

So that's possible without a male? Will she have them and be okay? Should I put her in with my male?

Thank You!

7. BobNJerry

BobNJerry Valued Member Member

do a quick goolge image search and it looks like she has eggs-

8. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Definitely do NOT put her in with your male. Betta breeding is not easy and there is a high possibility of either fish getting killed if not done properly and responsibly.
    I would try feeding her some pea (defrost a frozen pea, not canned) and then fast her for a few days. She should eventually reabsorb the eggs.

9. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Okay. I never wanted to breed them. I care about them both way too much for that risk. I just didn't know of she would get egg bound or not. I won't have a way to get frozen peas for a few more days, will she be okay for that long? Is there another alternative?

10. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Daphnia is another alternative but if she is eggbound you could try just fasting her for a few days.

11. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Okay. Thank you. I'll fast her until I can get either of those.

12. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

Hmm, do you have her tank near the male's tank? Can they see one another?

If so it might be the cause of the eggs. She looks young, but I also don't know the age of maturity for Betta fish.

Females tend to have a bigger 'belly' than males anyway. Google female Betta fish and check the images. They have ovaries for making eggs and this makes them look a little 'fatter' all the time.

13. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

She's near him, but they can't see each other. His tank is walled off with decorative paper so he could see his reflection. There was a time long ago that i had them in the same tank for a couple of days (not able to get to each other) but moved her rifht after i fot something set up for her. And then another time for a few minutes when i was cleaning his tank out.

14. Wystearya

I would not recommend putting them together -ever- unless you seriously plan to breed. If one of them decided to get aggressive, that could be the end of them if they hurt one another. It only takes a moment and they can move faster than you can! Also, they can smell each other's hormones, and it could cause the female to get full of eggs.

I'm glad they can't see one another now. I suggest keeping them completely apart.

Hopefully she isn't egg bound and is just a bit bloated.

15. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Someone said to give her a pea or fast her for a few days and it would reabsorb.

16. Wystearya

That's fine.

But my suggestion still stands. I would not put them together at all anymore. It's just too risky!

Good luck with the fasting!

17. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Thank You!

18. Biev

Biev Valued Member Member

Just want to point out that you don't need to boil water to defrost the pea. Running it under warm tap water for a few seconds is enough. Then you want to remove the skin, and feed just the inner part to your betta. Good luck : )

19. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

I don't exactly know if anyone gets notified from this or how it works. (Still getting the hang of the site) but she does have eggs...and looks like she's getting bigger :(

20. butterflylanding

butterflylanding New Member Member

Epsom salt will also clean out a constipated fish.