Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by emmysjj, Apr 14, 2018.

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Is it normal for nerite snails to be halfway out of the water?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, sometimes. Usually, it's if something is wrong with the water, or they just want to breathe.
    Mine did that even when the water was just fine.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Okay thanks. My other nerites aren't doing that.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Some nerites are just weird, but if your water is fine, there's nothing to worry about.
    Unless you have copper traces, that'll set them off.

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

The only copper I have whatsoever is in my bettas food, not my snail food. Is this okay?

6. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't feed anything with copper if there are inverts in the tank. I guess if you fed the betta one pellet at a time and made sure none ended up on the floor it might be okay, but I'd still worry about what happens to that copper after he eats it - does it come out in his poop? If it were me, I wouldn't risk putting anything containing copper into the tank. My bettas have always eaten Omega One Betta Buffet, which has no copper in it.

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Okay, I fed Bug Bites but i'll only feed my other pellets. Good thing thought, my other snail are fine. BTW, I just got another one :D If I have 1 betta, one mystery snail, and 4 nerites in a 10 gallon, am I overstocked? Could I add more nerites?

8. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

A few more should be fine, but remember that they need to eat too, and there's only so much algae in a small tank. You will need to supplement their diet with algae wafers, bleached spinach/cucumber/zucchini etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice