Is this normal?

al_stew2000

Hey guys,
I just got 4 gouramis, 3 red and one blue.I put them in my new tank(no other fish present).The red ones are doing just fine they swim around and are active but the blue one just hides in a log and hardly comes out.Is this normal behavior? or could he be sick?
Thanks!

sirdarksol

Possibly normal. He is kind of the odd one out, and we can only understand so much about the psychology of our fish.

However, make sure you're watching your ammonia levels. I found out the hard way that gouramis are very susceptible to ammonia poisoning (I lost one in a community tank and none of the other fish even showed a single symptom)

Tom

But you have to remember, most fish(unless breeding) don't really care about the color of it's tank mates.
Tom

al_stew2000

Thanks for the input!

sirdarksol

Tom said:
But you have to remember, most fish(unless breeding) don't really care about the color of it's tank mates.
Tom
Agreed, the key word being "most". Almost every fish breaks some "rule" that we think they should abide by. It may be something really small, like my cory catfish that would swim upside down along the surface of the tank in order to eat the pellets that I was feeding the other fish, or it could be something large like a calm member of a highly aggressive species.
In this case, I'm not so much thinking of color, but other possible differences (even scent) that the red ones are noticing about the blue, or perhaps vice versa.
Or it could just be that the blue one is a loner, and would be that way with a group of blue gouramis, too.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom