Is this normal synodontis lucipinnis behaviour?

njb235

One of m synos is doing a fair bit of glass surfing in one corner and in a kind of circular motion I am wondering if this is normal behaviour or not? The floor of the tank is absolutely covered in rocks wood and plants with plenty of hiding spots so not sure why this is happening?

A201

I've had varieties of Synodontis catfish exhibit the glass surfing behavior. All were apparently healthy.
The behavior was temporary, lasting only a few days. Dimming the lights helped.
Likely no worries, as long as the Lucipinnis continues to eat.
There is no one factor for glass surfing. The offending fish is either schooling or fighting w/ it's own reflection. Sometimes the fish is trying to escape from subpar water parameters.

Upvote 0

njb235

I've had varieties of Synodontis catfish exhibit the glass surfing behavior. All were apparently healthy.
The behavior was temporary, lasting only a few days. Dimming the lights helped.
Likely no worries, as long as the Lucipinnis continues to eat.
There is no one factor for glass surfing. The offending fish is either schooling or fighting w/ it's own reflection. Sometimes the fish is trying to escape from subpar water parameters.
Thanks for the advice seems to be eating fine and I will do a check of the water make sure nothings has got out of hand, all the other lucipinnis are fine as well swimming about doing their thing which is why I got concerned about this one.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Occasionally mine do the same, especially after I do some rearranging during tank maintenance.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Gudgie

Occasionally mine do the same, especially after I do some rearranging during tank maintenance.

Good Luck!
Mine sound like jmaldo's. I occasionally see a bit of surfing, typically along the back or sides of the tank, not the front - though it's never incessant. They are always more active following water changes and rearrangements, seemingly exploring any new setup.

Upvote 0

njb235

Good Luck!
I had done a small water change and some rearranging before so that must be why! Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cale24
Replies
Views
redmare