Is This Normal Nerite Snail Behavior?

Bettybrown922

I've owned Mystery Snails for quite some time & am used to them going above the water line. I just bought two Nerite snails & one of them insists on going above the water line. It's my understanding that Nerites do NOT lay their egg clutches above the water line like Mystery snails. So, why would he be doing this? I moved him twice back into the water & both times he quickly returned to above the water line. So, I figure he knows what he's doing. I'm just afraid he'll leave the tank via that gap above him.

So, I guess my questions are these: Is this normal Nerite snail behavior? If so, should I be worried about him going even further & escaping the tank? If it's not normal, why do you think he's doing this? Stress? (I just added him 2 days ago).MessedUpMorty.Nerite.jpg

Sputnik

They are notorious for climbing out of the water. Since they are more sensitive ton changes in water parameters than other snail species I would test your water- but if the values are good I wouldn’t worry -just be sure to keep the water level a bit lower than the very top and get a lid! They are also fabulous escape artists!

Bettybrown922

Sputnik said:
They are notorious for climbing out of the water. Since they are more sensitive ton changes in water parameters than other snail species I would test your water- but if the values are good I wouldn’t worry -just be sure to keep the water level a bit lower than the very top and get a lid! They are also fabulous escape artists!
Thanks! I had no idea they were escape artists, too. Yeah, I did a water change today, I wonder if that freaked him out or something. All my other invertebrates seem great. I'll keep on eye on this one, lol!

Top Bottom