Is this normal for my peppered cories to do?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by JTTSDBEMV, Dec 15, 2012.

1. JTTSDBEMV

JTTSDBEMV New Member Member

They just sit on top of the heater all day. They won't budge and I've only seen one of them eat. A little worried about them. There is 3 (I know they need schools of 6+, but didn't want to mess up water parameters by adding too many at once, 3 more are being added in a few weeks.) I thought cories were very active....is this normal for them to just sit there and not look for food or move around? The smallest one will sometimes swim a bit, but only for a little bit. Only tankmates are 1 dwarf gourami and 1 firemouth. I know the firemouth hasn't been bullying them, he's lived with cories before with no problem(he's moved from tank to tank until I got him this one). They were only added 2 days ago. They seem to swim a bit then get very tired and just sink. They never go to the bottom (expect for the smallest, he'll go down occasionally) Should I be concerned?

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Try feeding right at them also are they wild caught because I know that wild caught hide In a back corner so predators can't catch them with their backs turned. also is there a good amount of hiding spaces because that might be it. Finally give it sometime my eel I just purchased wedensday hasn't eaten and he keeps hiding.

3. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Yes, there is lots of hiding places. This tank is very heavily planted. And no, they aren't wild caught.

Could the gravel be too rough for them? I could change to sand (have about 50 pounds) if it would be better.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Have you ruled out problems with the water?

5. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Yes, I have. The water parameters are all spot on.

Are Cory's nocturnal?? It's about 8 here and the lights are still off. They are all swimming around and eating the algae wafer I put in there for the gourami.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

My cories constantly roam around thr tank and every now and then shoot to the top for a "breathe of fresh air"

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

It's really important to quarantine new fish. Aside from protecting your current stock from any disease outbreaks, it also gives the fish some time to get used to things, and it gives you a better opportunity to observe and treat them, if need be.

I think you should give them time to adjust to their new surroundings before you worry about their behavior. Also, stressed fish don't eat, so it's not a surprise that they are not eating yet. I generally don't feed new fish for the first few days. Part of the reason why is because I want them good and hungry when I do feed them. Any fish I fasted that doesn't eat, is likely to have a problem.

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Is the water warm enough? I ask because you mention they sit on heater.

9. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Water is 80 F.

10. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, ok. So they're probably just adjusting as stated.

11. Jaysee

Peppered corys temp range is 59-77.

12. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

My 7 Panda corys are parked up under the heater instead of on it.See to be more active at night and are all over the tank at feeding time.Didnt make any difference when I had 5 either.So school size doesent seem to be an issue.

13. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Everything I read prior to getting them said 72-79 F. I could take it down to 79 or 78, but I didn't think being 1 degree above at 80 would matter much.

14. Jaysee

Planetcatfish is a great resource for all things catfish. They are found in southern south america, which is cold. People assume that all south american fish come from the warm water of the amazon, and that's just not so.

My point was that the fish were not resting on the heater because they were cold.

15. OP
    OP
    JTTSDBEMV

Yes, I didn't think it was because they were cold. Sorry if my previous reply came across wrong :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice