Is this normal for middle of a cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by apeyton, Jul 29, 2015.

1. a

apeyton Valued Member Member

Hey just wondering if this is normal for middle of a cycle. I used tetra safe start about 7 days ago and it's obviously working!! Pretty excited about that my tank is heavily stocked ATM. I started out with just my lrg jack dempsey just after adding the TSS. But then had a tank mishap so I had to move all my african cichlids into the tank after 3 days of adding TSS. It's a 120 BTW. .that's why it's heavily stocked about 30 fish. Small to medium. Any ways like I said been about 8 or so days now. I'm obviously not going to do a WC but I was curious to see if the cycle had started. So I read 0 ammonia (0.25) between .25 and .50 nitrite and 10 nitrate.

My guess is that it's starting to cycle but just not enough bacteria has grown yet to handle the bio load. So again my guess is that after 14 days it should be caught up and I will start my first WC. I'm not really a beginner I have about 8 tanks running but never really have a cycling issue cuz I always have media from other tanks to use. But with this new 120 I had brand new media to fill up my new xp3 rena. Only thing I did was put a bag of cycled bio balls from a aqua clear 70 directly on top dof my bubbler. Just to aid but was obviously not going to be enough bacteria for the whole tank.. here's a pic of my levels today.

Just want reassurment that this is normal for the middle of an aided cycle using TSS and a tiny bit of cycled media.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi!

It does sound like it's cycling but then again it's still mid-cycle and you still have about a week left so I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers for now unless your fish are acting unusual.

I did the same thing by using old filter media and TSS+ to cycle my tank. I didn't get any high ammonia/nitrite readings like you did but my bioload was a lot less than yours.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Yeah cool. I think everything will be fine just comparing to others results never used TSS before. I have alot of fish but also a large tank. And lots of extra filtration. The xp3 is good for 175 gallons

My numbers are still low so I think I'm good. Guessing just mid cycle

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    a

Up date .. so I'm swearing by this product now. Ten full days after adding TSS plus with a fully stocked tank and on day ten I have this

BAM!!!

Attached Files:

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats!

6. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Excellent!

I've had dandy luck with TSS+, too.

You resisted the urge to do water changes, and it paid off! :)

7. OP
    OP
    a

Oh yeah I did my research no water changes but I couldn't help but test my water.. I told my self it wouldn't consume me if I had high ammonia. But instead I had great results. I'm still going wait the 4 more days to do a water change. To be safe seeing my levels are not toxic at all... over all I recommend TSS+

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice