Is this normal for cories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Got my cories yesterday evening, and so this is their second day in the quarantine tank. I was not worried that they slept most of the day, knowing they are nocturnal, but it's close to midnight now, and my cories are asleep or playing possum or there is something wrong with them.

I measured ammonia and nitrites, and both are 0, so at least they have water quality that's ok.

Earlier this evening two of the four cories briefly moved very very fast, and then they settled down again.

Both during the day and during the evening, they have been relocating to sleep in different parts of the tank.

My husband thinks that maybe the cories are taking their cues from other inhabitants of the tank, and since here the only other inhabitants are ramshorn snails, they are not moving very fast. To that I responded that my ramshorn snails can move surprisingly fast if they want to!

Anyway, I am a bit worried because I do not know enough about cories yet to know what is the normal level of activity for them, and how long they need to adjust, and how would I tell that they are not well? My main prior experience is with danios, and for danios this kind of behavior would be very alarming. I know however that cories are not like danios.

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Danios are highly active fish, corries usually spend the day time chilling out followed by small bursts of active swimming From what I've read, give it some time, what size is the tank and how many corries did you get and what species? Corries like to school in groups of at least 5 or 6

lp89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
During the day my cories spend a lot of time resting together in caves or under plants, away from the light. Later in the day and throughout the night they become very active, scavenging through every nook of the tank. Also, they always become active just after the tank is fed. If I drop the tiniest bit of food in the tank I can guarantee that my cories will come out from hiding very quickly.

You can see their normal behaviour in this video I made today of my new neon school:
[video=youtube;SQeBDaHDK-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeBDaHDK-A[/video]

When I first brought my cories home, they acted opposite of yours and spent their first day repeatedly darting to the top of the tank and taking gulps of air and swimming through the bubble curtain. It seemed like they just could not rest. I was told this is normal behaviour and would probably stop as they settled into their new home. It did.

Hopefully, a more knowledgeable member will come along and offer more advise. I don't think you should worry too much as this is only their second day home and they are still adjusting to their surroundings.

cichlidman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my peppered corys do not seem to shy from the light at all. They spend their day rummaging around the sand for food. Not sure if this is normal . But they sound fine imo

OP
J

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Danios are highly active fish, corries usually spend the day time chilling out followed by small bursts of active swimming From what I've read, give it some time, what size is the tank and how many corries did you get and what species? Corries like to school in groups of at least 5 or 6
Thanks, I kind off knew all that, but got worried anyway. I guess I just wanted reassurance that yes indeed it's ok. Thanks.

I have four cories thus far because they did not have enough of the cories that i wanted at the store, but I intend to get two more. These are Cory anaeus, and three of the current ones are bronze and one is the albino of same species - still intending to get two more albino Cory anaeus.

The tank that they are currently playing possums in is a 10 gallon quarantine tank. Their intended home is the 29 gallon main tank.

Lp89, thank you for your reassurance as well. Even though your mention of your cories being unusually active the first day is indeed in stark contrast to mine. I remember though that when I had my favorite fish thus far, a bn pleco named Princess Longfin (RIP) the first week she acted totally out of character to what I later learned of her behavior, so maybe these cories too will need a while to adjust.

thanks, cichlidman.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have anything in the quarantine tank? I'm quarantining two fish right now (separate tanks) and before I ran out to buy some plastic plants, they hid in the corner. As backwards as it sounds, after I added some plants they became much more active and personable.

Additionally, I was surprised that it took over a week for them to seem to settle in. Even after I added the plants, they still ran away and hid any time I came into the room. I would give them a little more time.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know why it would be backwards that adding decor to the tank makes the fish more comfortable

I agree, takes time for fish to adjust.

OP
J

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In the qt tank I've got a sponge filter and a power hang on back filter, a cave, some PVC pipe pieces, a piece of drift wood, some java moss and egeria. If anything, it's probably a bit too much decor for a qt tank - I had started out with very little and then stuff kind of accumulated over time.

One issue that I am aware of: I was intending to add sand, but forgot or did not get around to it before adding the corries. Right now it is bare bottom, and I know they prefer sand. I am thinking of perhaps when the water is only halfway during the next water change take a cup or a few cups of sand from my main tank and transfer them over to the quarantine tank.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it's that they prefer sand over gravel, not that they prefer sand over anything. I'm not sure adding sand would help, but you can always try it

Jaysee, I meant that it can seem kind of backwards that by adding hiding places, the fish hid less

Butterbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My pepper corys are active on and off all through the day and very active at night. They are most active when I put food in they like Shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blood worms... However they are very skidish and do not like movement to close to the tank I don't know if that is because it is just my husband and myself but when the grand kids come they tend to be very low key and towards the back of the tank. I do not believe in over feeding your fish but I have found fish like BN, pleco's, cat fish and that type of fish don't really get very much food in the fish stores that they like. They will and do eat flake food but really thrive on a diet more aimed at bottom feeders. Long story short first couple of days I keep lights off and try to feed special for them. Good luck they are special little fish and one of my favorites

I have and only have ever had gravel and my P cory's are about three years and very healthy

OP
J

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They say hindsight is 20-20. In hindsight, I should have attempted to photograph the cories while they were still playing possum. Now all my attempts at photos are a useless blur. When these guys decide to move fast, they move. LOL

OP
J

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have decided to name our current four cories: Silly, Tiny, Hidey (or Heidi), and Sleepy. Planning to get the remaining two corries tonight to complete the school. Sleepy is the one I am currently most worried about, just not a very active cory thus far at least.

OP
J

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am sorry to report that even though I don't understand cories yet, I can already pick out one that is not well after all: remember how I said that I was worried about the one I called Sleepy because it was not active enough? RIP Sleepy. I wish I had not gotten the remaining two cories yesterday after all. I hope whatever was wrong with Sleepy was not contagious.

And now what am I going to do: I have five cories in quarantine with one having just died. I assume that these five should now stay in quarantine for at least four weeks just in case? And then how do I get another one? I would hate to have to quarantine a single Cory all by his lonesome self some day, but my school is now one Cory short - assuming all others make it (which I really hope).

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry you lost one, they are great little guys.

Does your source or a nearby one have any more? I would get another and reset qt time rather than go through the whole process again for just one more.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, since one died I would reset the QT clock, so you might as well get another right away if you can and quarantine them all at once. RIP Sleepy

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I concur with Matt.

Sometimes new fishy friends die because of stress of being shipped to the LFS then bought and brought into a new environment not necessarily from a disease/parasite. I would just get another cory and start the QT period. The more in numbers the better they usually do in QT from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom