Is This Normal For Bettas?

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_5394.JPG

I just got him today, this is my first Betta I have done a lot of research but I don’t know about this. Is this cause he’s stressed? I have 4 penguin tetras in there but I am taking them
back to the store due to popular demand.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does he look alright because I don’t know what to necessarily look for as this is my first one. I have also noticed that he is staying near the bottom of the tank and if he moves it’s by the heater or the filter is this because he is scared of the other fish or because something is wrong. (I just want to make sure everything is good). I also keep a box fan on at night will this stress him out or will he get used to it?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
w_johnson07 said:
View attachment 433630

I just got him today, this is my first Betta I have done a lot of research but I don’t know about this. Is this cause he’s stressed? I have 4 penguin tetras in there but I am taking them
back to the store due to popular demand.
No need to worry! That is just his beard. If you put a mirror near him for a few minutes, you will see him flare at the mirror and his beard will really open up. This helps him to look bigger to potential rival males (or in this case, his reflection), and is also a tactic for showing off in front of females.

My Vincent has a blue face (though starting to lighten with age) and a beautiful deep red beard. He's quite impressive when he flares. I don't think I'd pick a fight with him!

As for chilling on the bottom, that isn't uncommon, especially if he is still getting used to his surroundings. Vincent has plants in his tank that he likes to lay on, as well as a betta hammock. Do you have decorations for your guy to chill out on?

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PatientStars said:
No need to worry! That is just his beard. If you put a mirror near him for a few minutes, you will see him flare at the mirror and his beard will really open up. This helps him to look bigger to potential rival males (or in this case, his reflection), and is also a tactic for showing off in front of females.

My Vincent has a blue face (though starting to lighten with age) and a beautiful deep red beard. He's quite impressive when he flares. I don't think I'd pick a fight with him!

As for chilling on the bottom, that isn't uncommon, especially if he is still getting used to his surroundings. Vincent has plants in his tank that he likes to lay on, as well as a betta hammock. Do you have decorations for your guy to chill out on?
I have a cave like thing where he can and chill from the current and I might get hammock but I am undecided yet. Any thing else you recommend I get for him?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
w_johnson07 said:
I have a cave like thing where he can and chill from the current and I might get hammock but I am undecided yet. Any thing else you recommend I get for him?
I would definitely reccomend some plants. You could either do live plants like java fern, or fake plants, as long as you get silk ones that won't tear his delicate fins. Marimo moss balls are also great. They look fun, will help filter your water, and some bettas like to play by pushing them around.

How high is the filter current? Bettas don't like fast flowing water, so if it's too high, it may stress him out. Putting a plant or tall decoration in front of the output could help break up the flow for him. And do you have a heater? Can't remember if you mentioned that.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is my 10 gal with a divider. The left side is my female double tail betta, and the right side is my male veil tail. They were just transferred into this setup today after I did some rearranging. Each of them have two moss balls, a silk plants, and some other decorations to swim through and hide in or behind. They also have hornwort floating on the top. It helps purify the water, as well as giving them some shade and plenty more room to hide and feel safe.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
w_johnson07 said:
I have a heater and I have weakened the flow of the filter, and I also have 3 water wisteria which I cannot get to grow, I might get some anubias nana or maybe just stick with fake silk plants. I also like the idea of some moss balls.
The moss balls are a super cute decoration. I have them in all of my tanks!

I think your little guy may just be adjusting to his new environment, so he's acting a bit shy. I'm sure with time he'll be more active. Some anubias or java ferns wouldn't hurt, and neither would some silk plants. I had awful luck with wisteria and eventually gave up!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom