Is this normal for a penguin filter to do

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Penguin 150

I noticed that one of the openings is spitting out water so fast that it's making extremely loud splashing noises. Like to the point where I have to unplug it at night because it's keeping me up. Is this normal? I'm thinking about buying a new filter since it's so aggravating lol.

image the opening on the right is the one making obnoxious sounds.

NormalFishkeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
water should not be flowing out of the socket next to the input. and yes, the pengiun is moderately loud;i have a 200b and your issue is probably because of too much filter media.

Nicholas1234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Penguin 150

I noticed that one of the openings is spitting out water so fast that it's making extremely loud splashing noises. Like to the point where I have to unplug it at night because it's keeping me up. Is this normal? I'm thinking about buying a new filter since it's so aggravating lol.

image the opening on the right is the one making obnoxious sounds.
Don't unplug it at night your beneficial bacteria will die off.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Bbarb27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that water should only be coming out of the left hand side. You can use a section of a plastic water bottle to baffle the outflow and reduce the splashing/noise, but try to figure out why water is overflowing to the right hand side. Is your filter media installed correctly, or are you using additional filter material? I have a really old Penguin filter with a biowheel. Does yours have a wheel and if so is it spinning?

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree that water should only be coming out of the left hand side. You can use a section of a plastic water bottle to baffle the outflow and reduce the splashing/noise, but try to figure out why water is overflowing to the right hand side. Is your filter media installed correctly, or are you using additional filter material? I have a really old Penguin filter with a biowheel. Does yours have a wheel and if so is it spinning?
Yes. I have 2 cartridges in it right now. The wheel isn't spinning at all.

Don't unplug it at night your beneficial bacteria will die off.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Nellie75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a Penguin 200, I only have water coming out of the left as well. I did notice mine was loud too, but I added water and it quieted it down a lot.

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I took out both cartridges and the wheel began to spin and it stopped coming out of the opening. What does that mean?

Bbarb27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are there two filter pads behind the bio wheel? The water shouldn't be high enough in the back that it runs down the front/right side of the filter, and it might be because there is an extra filter cartridge. Water should flow through the filter pad and under the wheel, making the wheel spin. Those wheels can be fussy things at times though. If there are two filters, try and remove one and see if you can get the wheel to spin

Bbarb27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I took out both cartridges and the wheel began to spin and it stopped coming out of the opening. What does that mean?
I think you had too much water flow because the extra filter was impeding flow through the filters. Try running with one cartridge and see if the wheel spins and the water stops coming out of the right side

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you had too much water flow because the extra filter was impeding flow through the filters. Try running with one cartridge and see if the wheel spins and the water stops coming out of the right side
I took out one filter and it still flowed out the right side and the wheel didn't spin

Bbarb27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try inserting the filter cartridge180 degrees from the way it's installed now. Still with the blue fuzzy part to the back of the tank, but upside down if it will go in that way. Something is blocking the water flow and making the water level too high, and it might be the cartridge is placed incorrectly

Nellie75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I looked on their website, have you tried replacing them with a new one and only one to start?

Also, take out some tank water in a small bucket and try cleaning it with tank water to see if you can unclog it.

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try inserting the filter cartridge180 degrees from the way it's installed now. Still with the blue fuzzy part to the back of the tank, but upside down if it will go in that way. Something is blocking the water flow and making the water level too high, and it might be the cartridge is placed incorrectly
I did exactly what you said but didn't push the cartridge all the way down. The wheel is spinning and water isn't coming out the right side.

I looked on their website, have you tried replacing them with a new one and only one to start?

Also, take out some tank water in a small bucket and try cleaning it with tank water to see if you can unclog it.
I don't have a new ones but the one I have in now is relatively new. I tried cleaning it last night but that didn't seem to work.

Shortfuuzze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anytime my filter is acting funny it usually tells me my media is dirty or my water tank level is too low....

I do not have a penguin filter though, I'm a Fluval guy(some say snob cuz all my stuff is fluval) ha-ha

I like their products and they have performed great so far

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anytime my filter is acting funny it usually tells me my media is dirty or my water tank level is too low....

I do not have a penguin filter though, I'm a Fluval guy(some say snob cuz all my stuff is fluval) ha-ha

I like their products and they have performed great so far
Had a Fluval and it quit working a day after I got it. The guy at Petco said he never had a problem with any of his Fluval equipment and couldn't find what was wrong with mine. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom