Is This Normal Betta Fish Behavior?

1. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

Some of you may remember me saying on here that I've never had luck keeping Siamese fighter fish. I have years experience in the hobby but every time i get a betta they die within hours of getting them.

Its been a couple of years since i tried keeping them so thought i would give it a try again. This time buying the fish from a proper retailer, not one that sells half dead stressed fish.

So i picked up 3 betta fish off eBay, they arrived today. 2 of them gone into separate 5g tanks and one of them is in a 1.5-2g? tank.

The one in the 1g tank is acting rather strange. It swims round but then rests for a while on the bottom.

Is this normal betta fish behavior why they are settling in? Just got me a bit concerned as the other two haven't stopped swimming since they gone in the tank. All tanks are filtered and heated.

Attached Files:

2. Undersea

Undersea New Member Member

Sounds like the 1g tank betta is just stressed from transport. Just keep an eye on it, my betta exhibited similar behaviors while he was getting acclimated to his new tank. It could also be that its fins are too heavy, that's a common problem in the bigger-tailed bettas, but your pictures show that it doesn't seem to have that big of a tail.

3. jamie carmichael

jamie carmichael Valued Member Member

you may already know this but the 1.5-2g betta tank is not suitable at the very least a 2.5 gallon tank. Don't forget heater too.

4. OP
    OP
    ParrotCichlid

Thank you, think I'm just overly paranoid when it comes to bettas due to previous bad experiences. The betta seems to be settling in and is swimming around more normally now.

To be fair it must have been a stressful time for the fish being bagged up for so long.

I'm aware that people say 2.5g is the minimum i just think that its a too broad term to agree with. It doesn't take into consideration the tank dimensions or the surface area. My betta has more than enough room in its little 1.5-2g tank. Sure if it grows more and looks cramped it will be upgraded down the line but for now its just fine.

A 1.5g tank can actually have more preferred swimming space than a 2.5g tank :)

5. OP
    OP
    ParrotCichlid

Just another quick question, is it normal for bettas to rest in the plants and against the filter? The HM Dumbo almost uses the plants like a hammock. Just rests in them.

6. jamie carmichael

jamie carmichael Valued Member Member

completely normal don't worry;)