Is this normal betta behavior?

darkcat

I have a 20 gallon high with 1 baby male betta, 5 neons, 3 three striped cories(I might add 2 more. should I? ) and 1 Golden Zebra Loach. I do wc every 2 weeks. My tank is cycled, did fish-in cycle. I have plants, 2 java ferns, 2 Anubias bateri var nana, 1 anubias bateri, 1 amazon sword, some bacopa caroliniana, and 2 marimo. I'm thinking of adding floating plants and a bit more plants.

My betta is at the bottom, just laying down. He only comes up if he needs to breathe. Thats normal behavior right? How can i make him more active? Is he a little stressed? I do a reflective black background, but im trying to cover that up with the plants. He looks bored. How can I entertain him?

BigManAquatics

A cave or two to explore can help. Also somewhat frequent rearranging.

Upvote 0

darkcat

I have a cave inside. I will try rearranging.

Attachments

• Polish_20210511_105506829.jpg
    Polish_20210511_105506829.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Might also consider one of those floating mirrors a few minutes a day as well. My betta doesn't ever flare at it, or much of anything else, but it could be entertainment. May also feel intimidated with those other fish, especially if the smallest in the tank.

Upvote 0

darkcat

The neons are a little small them the betta. I used to do the mirror, but with the reflective background, I thought that was enough.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The neons are a little small them the betta. I used to do the mirror, but with the reflective background, I thought that was enough.
Might be. Betta Might not be big enough, but maybe a ping pong ball to push around might help

Upvote 0

darkcat

I just noticed that, because of the bloatness, he doesn't want to go up. So, if I don't give him the wafers and a lot of food, will he be active once again?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I just noticed that, because of the bloatness, he doesn't want to go up. So, if I don't give him the wafers and a lot of food, will he be active once again?
Yeah, fasting will probably help a lot.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies